Clarity

• 1.  JOB INCOMPATIBILITY

Posted Feb 07, 2012 07:24 AM
    What would be the impact of making the Investment Allocation job incompatible
    with Datamart and Time Slicing ?

The current job schedule is -

Investment Allocation
    Cron:
    Months: All
    Days of Month: *
    Hours: *
    Minutes: 10
    Recur Until: None

Datamart Extraction
    Cron:
    Hours: 6
    Minutes: 00

Time Slicing with Logging
    Cron:
    Hours: *
    Minutes: *

NJ

• 2.  RE: JOB INCOMPATIBILITY
    Best Answer

Posted Feb 07, 2012 07:34 AM
    The "impact" would be that they would not run at the same time.

So either your other Investment Allocation job would be delayed or the other jobs would be delayed.

Not sure what you are really asking then!

Do you need to run Investment Allocation that often (every 10 mins?) - I just run it once daily (overnight).

• 3.  RE: JOB INCOMPATIBILITY

Posted Feb 07, 2012 07:43 AM
    Dave, what I actually wanted to check was whether it makes any sense to run both - Datamart and Investment Allocation job together, or is it advised to make them both incompatible.

NJ

• 4.  RE: JOB INCOMPATIBILITY

Posted Feb 07, 2012 08:01 AM
    The way I see it (which I recognise is "optomistic") is; if it is an "[color=#ff0000]out of the box[color]" job and it does not come [color=#ff0000]out-of-the-box[color] as incompatable with another [color=#ff0000]out-of-the-box[color] job, then it is not my job (as a system admin) to make them incompatible.

--

Obviously a KB article or some CA-wisdom * would supercede my logic (but then I would also expect that to be recognised as a BUG as fixed in a later version). Investment Allocation has been around since v8 (or 8.1, I forget) so should be well-tested by now?

* - A good example is Post Timesheets & Time Slicing ; these come out of the box as compatable - yet CA often advise to set them incompatable - if they are incompatabile (i.e. its a BUG that they are allowed to be compatable) then CA should MAKE them incompatable (fix that big) not let it be a functional decision whether they are incompatable.

Sorry, rant over.

--

But generally, you are never going to cause any processing "harm" by making stuff incompatable ; you are just maybe causing yourself an issue in getting all your jobs to run through by "single-threading" your batch processing
    (make timeslicing incompatable with everything else, run it all the time and see if any other jobs can ever run! :grin: )

• 5.  RE: JOB INCOMPATIBILITY

Posted Feb 07, 2012 08:14 AM
    Those jobs not being incompatible means they are not processing the same data and one job is not providing the source data for the other.

To me the schedule looks like the investment allocation job is run once every hour, not every ten minutes.

If the datamart job is run once a day at that hour it is not gonna make much difference if the other two jobs are incompatible ie not running at the same time.
    That is if it completes before the office hours start and the other jobs can be run again.

Normally running the time slicing every minute works fine if the run lasts less than a minute. If it does not then you should do something about that.
    You can review the slice definitions and run the job less frequently.
    But still there is a lot of time between the runs of investment allocation jobs for time slicing to run.

Basically what the job schedule is about is how frequently you data is brought up to date.
    There are different needs for different type of data and therefore the different schedules.

Martti K.

• 6.  RE: JOB INCOMPATIBILITY

Posted Feb 07, 2012 08:18 AM
    [LOW] Yeah my mistake - every hour at 10 past the hour, not every 10 mins! :*) D'oh.

• 7.  RE: JOB INCOMPATIBILITY

Posted Feb 13, 2012 11:18 AM
    Hi,

The Investment Allocation Job is still considered as an bad Job when considering performance(12.1.1) so it is better to run it in odd time.As dave rightly pointed out it the Incompatible should be in-corp orated by CA itself.
    when the same tables are used by different jobs then deadlock will happen.

TEC510351-->

Title: The Investment Allocation Job and the Time Slicing Job should be incompatible out of the box.

Description:

The investment allocation and time slicing jobs access many of the same tables and create a large amount of db processing. These jobs should not run at the same as it will cause locking and deadlocking behaviors in the system. Out of box, these are allowed to run. This should not be.

Steps to Recreate:

Run the Investment Allocation job (immediately).
    Run the Time Slicing job (immediately).

Expected Results: The Time Slicing job should wait for the Investment Allocation job to finish before running.

Actual Results: The Time Slicing job will run concurrently with the Investment Allocation job.

Note: Deadlocks such as the following may occur from running both of these jobs concurrently.

i.e.

com.niku.union.persistence.PersistenceDeadlockException:
    SQL error code: 60
    Error message: [CA Clarity][Oracle JDBC Driver][Oracle]ORA-00060: deadlock detected while waiting for resource

Executed:
    UPDATE PRAssignment SET SLICE_STATUS = NULL WHERE SLICE_STATUS = 2

cheers,
    sundar

• 8.  RE: JOB INCOMPATIBILITY

Posted Feb 14, 2012 12:25 AM
    Right, and that's what we have done now .... made Investment Allocation job incompatible with Time Slicing job.

However, for the past few days, I see the below error messages -

ERROR 2012-02-14 00:47:43,743 [Dispatch Thread-2678 : bg@[b]servername] niku.xql2 (none:none:none) CalculateCostCurve.getProjectCurrencyCode(): unable to obtain currency_code for project 0
    ERROR 2012-02-14 03:13:59,024 [Dispatch Thread-2739 : bg@[b]servername] xql2.xbl (none:none:none) Error while attempting to delete PRXXXXX (XXXXXXX)

Guess, it is from the Investment Allocation job. But can't figure out the reason.

Has anyone seen these before ?

Regards
    NJ