Clarity

Expand all | Collapse all

Copying blob fields

• 1.  Copying blob fields

Posted Feb 26, 2012 03:34 PM
    Is there a supported way to copy en masse the values of blob fields to other blob fields like allocations to hard allocations or to time varying fields?

Martti K.

• 2.  Re: [CA Clarity General Discussion] Copying blob fields

Posted Feb 26, 2012 06:21 PM
    Are you actually trying to move the blob? Could you simply xog out the data, adjust the data, and xog it back in? It would be tricky to hit the db directly. Steve Steve Seaney Steven.P.Seaney@us.HSBC.com +1 224 78 8198 From: CA Clarity Global User Community [CommunityAdmin@communities-mail.ca.com] Sent: 02/26/2012 08:34 PM GMT To: "mb.2277340.97588709@myca-email.ca.com" <mb.2277340.97588709@myca-email.ca.com> Subject: [CA Clarity General Discussion] Copying blob fields Is there a supported way to copy en masse the values of blob fields to other blob fields like allocations to hard allocations or to time varying fields? Martti K. Posted by:another_martink -- CA Communities Message Boards 97591249 mb.2277340.97588709@myca-email.ca.com http://communities.ca.com ----------------------------------------- ****************************************************************** This message originated from the Internet. Its originator may or may not be who they claim to be and the information contained in the message and any attachments may or may not be accurate. ****************************************************************** ----------------------------------------- ****************************************************************** This E-mail is confidential. It may also be legally privileged. If you are not the addressee you may not copy, forward, disclose or use any part of it. If you have received this message in error, please delete it and all copies from your system and notify the sender immediately by return E-mail. Internet communications cannot be guaranteed to be timely, secure, error or virus-free. The sender does not accept liability for any errors or omissions. ****************************************************************** SAVE PAPER - THINK BEFORE YOU PRINT!

• 3.  RE: Re: [CA Clarity General Discussion] Copying blob fields

Posted Mar 05, 2012 05:40 PM
    Say you want to copy allocations, which have 12 monthly segments within a year and the default allocation extending for one more year.
    The xml looks like this
    <Segment finish="2012-01-01T00:00:00" start="2011-12-01T00:00:00" sum="0.9000"/>

If you want to copy it to Hard allocation it has to look like this
    <segment finish="2012-01-01T00:00:00" start="2011-12-01T00:00:00" rate="0.9000"/>
    That is change segment to start with small s and replace sum with rate. Can be done, but if there are a large number of projects with large project teams that is something you don't want to do very often and consequently you are in trouble if you allocations change over the life cycle of the projects.

Note also that only the defined allocation segments are read out as segments and not the remaining time which at default allocation. You need to manually to create a hard allocation segment for that.

If you want to copy allocations to a custom TV attribute the the xml has to look like this
    <ColumnValue name="tv_attrib">
    <tsvData default="0.0" finish="2011-12-31T00:00:00" start="2011-01-01T00:00:00" type="value" unitConversion="hour">
    <segment finish="2011-12-31T00:00:00" isDefaultSegment="false" start="2011-01-01T00:00:00" value="1440.0"/>
    </tsvData>

Which makes the conversion needed fro XOGing impractical.

Note that allocations and hard allocations are in different unit depending where you look at them

In Team member properties allacations are in percent
    In xml allocations are in decimal number
    In Weekly detail portlet allocations are in hours if displayed as a number
    In db Allocations is a blob (though in hours within the blob)
    and there is no conversion possibility.

While a TV attribute is as is everywhere.

So copying with XOG does not fly very far if you allocations are complex and don't stay constant.

Martti K.

• 4.  RE: Copying blob fields

Posted Mar 09, 2012 10:08 AM
    I would still treat this as a XOG process I think, with an XSL transformation step before XOGing back in again. This will take care of the simple cases such as changes in elements/attributes or even more involved XML restructuring.

The rate curve to value curve conversion for individual periods/segments may be a little trickier to create the expressions for, but it's the same effort that would be required everywhere doing this transition between data types / units.

All of which can be captured in a GEL script (run in a Clarity process or outside from a cmd prompt). Unless there is a 3rd party development that already does these things, I don't think there will be easier and/or supported ways than this.

• 5.  RE: Copying blob fields

Posted Mar 09, 2012 01:25 PM
    Thank for you input.
    I could see that work if you can get automated and only need to do it for a small number of items every day.
    The challenges is when you do the initial set which is thousands of users in thousands of projects.

Martti K.

• 6.  RE: Copying blob fields

Posted Mar 12, 2012 01:37 AM
    Hi Martti,

I have done XML manipulation on input xog file and xog it back with GEL. Below is my case:

I had to grant instance level rights to users automatically, for enter and approve time. I created a gel process which xog out user xml, work on input request and modify instance level element keeping rights except enter/approve time intact. Query database to get direct report and add approve/enter rights on directs in XML (got from previous request). XOG it back into clarity.

This process can be build to run on batch mode, you identify records in chunk and mark them processed. At a time you can run process on decided number and limit it in query.

Thx
    N.P.

• 7.  RE: Copying blob fields

Posted Mar 12, 2012 05:28 PM
    I have no doubt that
    a XOG process I think, with an XSL transformation step before XOGing back in again.
    and
    XML manipulation on input xog file and xog it back with GEL
    will do it just fine with the effort to create the transformation and manipulation plus the actual transfer, but they are not my understanding of copy.

What I am after is something simpler like a calculated field or formula.
    Those seem to work with numbers and strings to some extend and the contents are created automatically on the fly.
    Neither of those can take a binary field, so they can't be used for what I want to do.

Martti K.

• 8.  RE: Copying blob fields

Posted Mar 27, 2012 04:10 PM
      |   view attached
    What I am after is something much simpler than the proposed manipulations.
    Like the way you can use calculated and formula fields: you just make the definition and the values are automatically calculated by the system.
    See examples below.

Martti K.

• 9.  RE: Copying blob fields

Posted May 29, 2012 04:46 PM
    Say you have created a time varying attribute for the Team object to capture the allocation data.
    One way or other you have managed to get the hours to the time varying attribute so that they match the allocation.
    Not that allocation is in percent in the GUI and in xml file so a straight copy of numbers in either place won't work.

To test results you can have a portlet where you have allocation and the time varying attribute both time scaled.
    At monthly level the total and the timescaled values seem to have a fair match.

However when you change the timescale to weeks the numbers don't match any more.

Why might that be.

Martti K.

• 10.  Re: [CA Clarity General Discussion] Copying blob fields

Posted Aug 25, 2015 10:55 AM

The assumption is wrong: this has not been answered unless somebody considers No for the answer.

• 11.  Re: Copying blob fields

Posted Jun 10, 2016 02:23 AM

https://communities.ca.com/servlet/JiveServlet/download/98202527-1-46132/Weekly.jpg

https://communities.ca.com/servlet/JiveServlet/download/98202527-1-46135/TV_attribute.jpg

https://communities.ca.com/servlet/JiveServlet/download/98202527-1-46133/Allocation__AMP__Timevarying.jpg

https://communities.ca.com/servlet/JiveServlet/download/98202527-1-46134/Monthly.jpg

• 12.  Re: Copying blob fields

Posted Jun 10, 2016 02:20 AM

https://communities.ca.com/servlet/JiveServlet/download/97746884-1-45741/Calculated_n_formula.jpg