DX NetOps

• 1.  Process Monitoring Schedule maintenance

Posted Feb 29, 2012 01:38 PM
    Hi ,

We are Monitoring Process Through using MicroSoft SNMP Agent with the Process Model Type .

The Process Alerts are configured to the Application Stakeholders .

Now My new requriement is to Monitoring the same process for given Time Window...e.g From 8:00 AM to 6:00 PM PST .

Is there any way to Schedule a maintenance for the process monitoring model & stop the Alerts for the given time windowin ?

Thanks in Advance

Hemant Kulkarni
    +91 9833 820 868

• 2.  RE: Process Monitoring Schedule maintenance

Posted Feb 29, 2012 02:13 PM
    If you are using the standard SNMP library to monitor the process you shouldnt have a problem achieving that.

Go to the Locater --> System and Application Monitoring --> All monitored process and then select the process u want to put in a schedule maintenance.
    Then do right-click and select Utilities --> Schedule Maintenance. That should do the trick,

if u need further help let me know,
    greetings,
    Daniel Zuleta

• 3.  RE: Process Monitoring Schedule maintenance

Posted Mar 01, 2012 02:06 PM
    HI Daniel,

Thanks for the information...We are using std Microsoft & Net-SNMP Agent for windows ,unix
    ,Linux servers.

Does any other SNMP Agent support for "Go to the Locater --> System and Application Monitoring --> All monitored process and then select the process u want to put in a schedule maintenance.
    Then do right-click and select Utilities --> Schedule Maintenance. " given steps ?

Thanks in Advance
    Hemant Kulkarni
    +91 9833 820 868 :blink:

• 4.  RE: Process Monitoring Schedule maintenance

Posted Mar 02, 2012 07:46 AM
      |   view attached
    If you want it to work out of the box then it will only work with the process of the mib RFC2790. (see image attached).

If that doesnt suit ur needs u would have to do some develops. I have done any of this yet, but i have a few ideas on how to achieve that could be a guideline for you to research.

option 1) Use a watch to monitor the process, whenever the process goes down generate an event. Using an event condition filter the time when it was trigger. If the event was generated in a maintenance period do nothing, otherwise generate an alarm.

The problem about using watchs is that the mib tables usually display the process that ARE running, so if a process stop running it will go out of the mib table. Consequently, u wont be able to generate an alarm. I think that if u use this option u will need to make one watch per process, which can be very annoying. There is probably an easier workaround to this issue but u would have to search for it.

option 2) The rfc2790 process works fine because whenever u add a new monitor, it generates a new model, so u can put that new model into maintenance. If it was up to me i would search for the file that triggers the add button on the "rfc2790 process monitoring" and i will try to copy it, but referencing the other mib tables instead of the rfc2790.

• 5.  Re: [CA Spectrum] Process Monitoring Schedule maintenance

Posted Mar 02, 2012 11:49 AM
    option 1) Use a watch to monitor the process, whenever the process goes down generate an event. Using an event condition filter the time when it was trigger. If the event was generated in a maintenance period do nothing, otherwise generate an alarm.

The problem about using watchs is that the mib tables usually display the process that ARE running, so if a process stop running it will go out of the mib table. Consequently, u wont be able to generate an alarm. I think that if u use this option u will need to make one watch per process, which can be very annoying. There is probably an easier workaround to this issue but u would have to search for it.
    Using net-snmp with ucdavis support, you can do this by using the proc directive in snmpd.conf. On the monitored host, add the process you want to watch to snmpd.conf, and then create a watch on the prTable. The prErrorFlag and prErrMessage will tell you if there is an error and what it is, and you can just create one watch for the whole table. The prErrTable is only populated when there is at least one proc entry in snmpd.conf, though.

Mathias Wegner
    ISC N&T
    University of Pennsylvania

• 6.  RE: Process Monitoring Schedule maintenance

Posted Mar 04, 2012 03:30 AM
    Hi Daniel,

We are using same method to monitor the process .but how I put monitoring process into maintenance mode using same microsoft SNMp ,net-snmp Agents?

Shall I replace Microsoft SNMP & NEt-SNMP Agent ?

Regards
    Hemant
    +91 9833 820868

• 7.  RE: Process Monitoring Schedule maintenance

Posted Mar 06, 2012 08:04 AM
    I am having troubles to understand what u are trying to say.

If u are using the same method (as the one i showed u in the image) to monitor the process, then u can just put them in maintenance mode through the locater.

If u want to use microsoft SNMp ,net-snmp Agents instead of RFC2790 you can generate the rules through Watches (I think this is the easier way, there is probably another harder way to generate a model associated to the process and then put the model into maintenance).

If that is not the answer u are looking for, try to explain me more what is the problem,
    Regards,
    Daniel

• 8.  RE: Process Monitoring Schedule maintenance

Posted Mar 06, 2012 11:08 AM
    Hi Hemant,

From the above conversation i believe like you are trying to keep a process model into maintenance.No matter of which agent you have on the end box once the process is monitored to configure on the model in OC you can see the monitored processes under locator -> System and application monitoring -> All monitored processes.

Now you need to select all the processes -> Right click -> Utilities -> Schedule maintenance.

Hope this helps.

kalyan