Clarity

• 1.  Max file size for Document Upload in Clarity

Posted Apr 03, 2012 01:57 PM
    Hi All,

Does anyone know if 20mb is the maximum file size that can be uploaded in Clarity?

We have a need for PM's to upload docs to their projects, but I cannot find any references to maximum files sizes. I know you set the maximum file size in Clarity - however, is there a system limitation?

Thanks,

Kart.

• 2.  RE: Max file size for Document Upload in Clarity
    Best Answer

Posted Apr 03, 2012 02:12 PM
    Hi,

If you look at the system option it states to live blank for no limit but for Ondemand customers we do have a limit of 20MB which is structured this way based on Ondmeand

Settings for maximum file upload size are located in the NSA
    and accessible by the System Admin. The documented,
    recommended maximum file size is 20mb and in fact this is
    the default in the system.

Based on CA Support from what I understand they issued an intense warning about possible repercussions
    of storing unusually large documents in the Clarity system. The
    drag on the system to download large documents or file structures
    such as videos would be immense and quite possibly bring your
    system down.

You could leverage Sharepoint if necessary.

• 3.  RE: Max file size for Document Upload in Clarity

Posted Apr 03, 2012 02:25 PM
    Thanks Tammi.

I do notice the setting for 20mb.

But leaving it blank, does the system restrict once file size reaches a certain size?

Can anyone share their experience of using sharepoint or alternative methods to store documents?

Thanks,

Kart.

• 4.  RE: Max file size for Document Upload in Clarity

Posted Apr 03, 2012 02:27 PM
    Being an Ondemand customer I was restricted regardless even though we left the system option blank, which is why I created the ticket and received response from CA Support in the above post I sent earlier.

Thanks
    Tammi

• 5.  RE: Max file size for Document Upload in Clarity

Posted Apr 04, 2012 02:34 AM
    I only found this about download in the Admin guide

Maximum File Size for Document Download
    Describes the maximum file size (as an integer) in megabytes that a
    user can download from the Knowledge Store or Document Manager.
    If blank, there is no limit on the file size that a user can download.

Nothing about upload. So without that limit anything that have been uploaded ca be downloaded.

Regarding the performance there could be a difference depending on whether the files are stored in db or filestore.

Martti K.

• 6.  RE: Max file size for Document Upload in Clarity

Posted Apr 04, 2012 08:35 AM
    In talking with CA there is a maximum file limit of around 20 megs even if it's officially stated it can be unlimited. I was told this was due to the ability to ensure the integrity of the files. We are running 12.1.1 so i am not sure if this limit exists in 13. We are also hosted (not OnDemand).

Work arounds we have used are:
    - Ensuring scanned docs are not at such a high res that the file size is un-manageable
    - Basic Compression
    - Storing on a shared drive with a .txt file containing the location (requires being on the network to get to the shared drive)
    - Storing on a SharePoint site or Microsoft Live site (if you are not worried about security) with either a .html file saved to Clarity or again, a text file containing the address.

Overall we made the decision (partly for this reason) that we would capture our solution deliverables (thinks not specific to the project and project management but things that will live on with the system after go-live) in either Microsoft TeamFoundation or SAP Solution Manager.

Sam

• 7.  RE: Max file size for Document Upload in Clarity

Posted Apr 04, 2012 02:56 PM
    Just for a work around splitting the files to the maximum size is the simplest, but may be laborous if you have many big ones to upload.

You can also put links to an external document management system on a portlet which brings it into rights management or you could use single sign on on both systems.

Martti K.

• 8.  Re: Max file size for Document Upload in Clarity

Posted Nov 08, 2016 03:22 PM

Hi all,

In the event this is helpful, we're also looking to have CA increase the maximum size. There's an idea you can vote one (that has been out for awhile): Increase to size of document storage 

another_martink SamCoverdale Tammi 

Thanks!

Lisa