Clarity

Expand all | Collapse all

what are the Requirements To install XOG on windows 7

• 1.  what are the Requirements To install XOG on windows 7

Posted May 02, 2012 07:05 AM
    Hi all,

Can anyone please tell me ,what are the requirements to install xog in windows7.
    I have installed jre 1.5.1 in windows7.
    i have installed xog client .but it says ca was unexpected at this time.
    Please help me.
    Thanks
    RK

• 2.  RE: what are the Requirements To install XOG on windows 7

Posted May 02, 2012 07:13 AM
    I don't think that error relates to requirement directly.
    In 64 bit environment it is better to have an install path with no spaces for the XOG client and the same goes for jre.
    You can verify the supported jre version for the clients in the PAS or release notes in v12.1SP1 and later. You ar better off using the same version of XOG.

Martti K.

• 3.  RE: what are the Requirements To install XOG on windows 7

Posted May 03, 2012 06:57 AM
    It's the '(x86)' part that is actually killing it as well, in some cmd commands, this is misinterpreted (the backets are considered special characters) and it results in the path being truncated.

So I would advise installing the XOG client to a different folder, and then ensure every entry in your path statement that contains spaces and/or the '(' and ')' characters is double-quoted. If you do that system-wide by changing your environment variables for the path under your Computer properties (and you should), you would need to close and re-open the command prompt window for the changes to take effect.

• 4.  RE: what are the Requirements To install XOG on windows 7

Posted May 03, 2012 09:28 AM
    For me running run.bat in
    J:\XOG(86)_121SP1\bin
    works fine.

That path is not in the environmental path variable and I just copied the XOG folder from another location to that.

Would the installer installing by default to a folder from where you can execute the XOG client amount to a bug?

Martti K.

• 5.  RE: what are the Requirements To install XOG on windows 7

Posted May 03, 2012 09:32 AM
    He's running xog.bat not run.bat.
    C:\ProjectX\xog(x86)\bin>xog
    \bin was unexpected at this time.

C:\ProjectX\xog(x86)\bin>cd ..\..

C:\ProjectX>move "xog(x86)" xog
            1 dir(s) moved.

C:\ProjectX>cd xog\bin

C:\ProjectX\xog\bin>xog

Warning: JAVA_HOME environment variable is not set.

-----------------------------------------------------------
    Clarity XML Open Gateway ( version: 12.1.1.1208 )
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    Usage: xog

login [user/passwd@host:port] Create new active session.
     logout                        Close active session.
     call <file>                   Invoke given XOG request.
     verbose <on|off>              Turn on verbose error logging.
     output <console|path>         Output to console or file.
     exit                          Logout and exit the shell.
     ?                             Display this help information.

Examples:
       call xml/cmn_users_read.xml
    >
    I believe this has been fixed in v13.

• 6.  RE: what are the Requirements To install XOG on windows 7

Posted May 03, 2012 09:43 AM
    Dear RK,

I had exactly the same issue before. Re-install of the XOG client did not get installed in the custom folder I chose while installing it.

I moved all the files from "C:\Program Files (x86)\CA\Clarity\CA Clarity XOG" folder to "C:\CAXOG" folder. (you may prefer any foldername, which is short, without having spaces or special characters)

Given that Java_home, Niku_home are properly set, xog works fine for me.

Hope this helps.

Mayank Joshi

• 7.  RE: what are the Requirements To install XOG on windows 7

Posted May 03, 2012 10:02 AM

Mayankkumar wrote:

Dear RK,

I had exactly the same issue before. Re-install of the XOG client did not get installed in the custom folder I chose while installing it.

I moved all the files from "C:\Program Files (x86)\CA\Clarity\CA Clarity XOG" folder to "C:\CAXOG" folder. (you may prefer any foldername, which is short, without having spaces or special characters)

Given that Java_home, Niku_home are properly set, xog works fine for me.

Hope this helps.

Mayank Joshi
    Hi Joshi,

can you please share the java_home and niku_home paths.
    which version of jre have you installed and which version of clarity you have?

Thanks
    RK

• 8.  RE: what are the Requirements To install XOG on windows 7
    Best Answer

Posted May 03, 2012 11:15 AM
    C:\>java -version
    java version "1.5.0_11"
    Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_11-b03)
    Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.5.0_11-b03, mixed mode, sharing)

C:\>echo %JAVA_HOME%
    c:\java15011\jre

C:\>echo %NIKU_HOME%
    c:\niku\clarity

Clarity version = 12.0.4.5283
    Windows 7 64bit OS

• 9.  RE: what are the Requirements To install XOG on windows 7

Posted May 03, 2012 02:59 PM
    Looking at Nick's post it appears that is is from 32 bit.
    Note also that it says
    Warning: JAVA_HOME environment variable is not set
    and still it works

Normally you would have NIKU_HOME variable defined on the server and not on a workstation.

I tried to run it in 64 bit but could not

J:\XOG(x86)_client\bin>xog
    _client\bin was unexpected at this time.

The problem occurs right after the close bracket.

J:\XOG 121SP1\bin>xog
    \AMD was unexpected at this time.

No brackets this time just a space. I do have and AMD CPU

J:\XOG\bin>xog
    \AMD was unexpected at this time

This time the XOG client installer was run and the client was to installed to folder J:\XOG
    Still get the same error and can't figure anything other that to try in 32 bit which worked as in Nick's post.

Why do you want to run "xog" and not "run" in the first place?

Martti K.

• 10.  RE: what are the Requirements To install XOG on windows 7

Posted May 04, 2012 05:32 AM
    Indeed, neither of the variables (niku_home / java_home) matter much for the XOG client, at least not in this case. It will set its own niku_home dynamically in the batch file anyway based upon the current location it is being executed from, so setting it up in advance would result in it being overridden.

The time you would want to take control of and set the java_home would be situations like having multiple JREs installed AND the one you want XOG to use is not the first one found on the path from a java -version. At which point the only thing it does, is that the xog.bat will prefix the current path with the java_home entry anyway, it makes no other difference at all.

I always have multiple JREs installed but I always explicitly have my path first pointing to the correct one I wish to use in each app, rather than setting/fiddling with the java_home which I have previously forgotten to reset when needed.

I strongly suspect the \AMD problem seen is just a similar entry in the PATH environment variable containing spaces and/or brackets which needs double-quoting. Note that you could have a situation where your path variable contains another variable, and that other one has the spaces/brackets, which isn't immediately visible when looking at the path statement alone under your computer properties > environment variables. In that situation I still double-quote the variable in the path statement to encapsulate it.

However I also only have and only use 64-bit JREs so there isn't anything 32-bit being invoked in my case - however if the installer of an application on Windows 64-bit platforms isn't explicitly installing a 64-bit application, then it (Windows) would simply choose the (x86) designated path as a preferred default program files install location. There isn't actually any additional impact it has on how the application is launched/run, except with respect to how Windows 32-bit applications may be subject to registry and path data virtualization (the virtual store behaviours) as a result of the SysWOW64 ("windows-on-windows") execution, but the path doesn't dictate that.

Although it is unfortunate that some versions of the XOG client result in it being easier to install and use it via the run.bat command I have also seen problems occur with this method that were not present when using xog.bat (no references of this to hand I'm afraid, I'm just recalling some past issues I've assisted with), and I would recommend resolving the path issues now one time until it is time to upgrade to a newer version of Clarity and use the xog.bat whenever possible. You'll note that the two have different entry points into the code (com.niku.xog.client.NikuGateway vs. com.niku.xog.client.XOGClient) and so won't be completely identical in their execution as clients.

• 11.  RE: what are the Requirements To install XOG on windows 7

Posted May 07, 2012 08:09 AM
    Thank you for the education and your patience Nick.

My path was
    F:\Java\jre6;C:\Windows\system32;C:\Windows;C:\Windows\System32\Wbem;C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;F:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static;C:\Program Files (x86)\AMD APP\bin\x86_64;C:\Program Files (x86)\AMD APP\bin\x86

When I removed the parts that contained (x86) it worked fine in 64 bit.

Note that there still were spaces in the path.

Martti K.

• 12.  RE: what are the Requirements To install XOG on windows 7

Posted May 08, 2012 05:49 PM
    I had this problem with PATH statements back on XP and 7.5.1. I just edited the XOG.BAT file to create a session-based restricted PATH for XOG to run in.. I've carried that habit forward on every xog client machine since..

I just inserted this --> set PATH=%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem;%SYSTEMROOT%\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0;D:\Java\jdk1.6.0_22\bin

ahead of this--> set PATH=%NIKU_HOME%\bin;%PATH%

(edited as appopriate for your configuration)

That way the rest of the system can go on its merry way with all the (x86) entries and spaces and whatnot it wants to have in the PATH.

Tom

• 13.  RE: what are the Requirements To install XOG on windows 7

Posted May 09, 2012 04:21 AM
    What your, too, are saying is that the OOTB package and install did not work, but you had to modify it, right?

Martti K.