Clarity

• 1.  This scheduled job failed. LDAP - Synchronize New and Changed Users

Posted May 03, 2012 12:44 PM
    I am unable to add/modify users from my administration console:

I see the below error in the logs

This scheduled job failed. LDAP - Synchronize New and Changed Users

Job: LDAP - Synchronize New and Changed Users Run ID: 8531021 Scheduler ID: bg@USEAIHP946 Failed - Message: java.lang.Exception: Synchronize new and changed users job failed: com.niku.security.directory.DirectoryServiceException: java.lang.NullPointerException

Can someone help me with this ?

• 2.  RE: This scheduled job failed. LDAP - Synchronize New and Changed Users

Posted May 03, 2012 01:04 PM

vincent83 wrote:

OK, but you need to tell us some information first...

vincent83 wrote:

...so what do you mean by "unable to add/modify" - what exactly happens? What does the GUI do when you are trying this (and what exactly are you trying)?

vincent83 wrote:

II see the below error in the logs
    ...OK looking in the log files is good, unfortunately that error message looks like it is related to a JOB (I assume you found that in the BG log file?) and not what is happening when you are trying to do something in the GUI - so what are the messages in the APP log file?

Other stuff that is useful to mention would be... what Clarity version are you using, what BROWSER are you using...

• 3.  RE: This scheduled job failed. LDAP - Synchronize New and Changed Users

Posted May 03, 2012 02:43 PM

Dave wrote:

vincent83 wrote:

OK, but you need to tell us some information first...

vincent83 wrote:

...so what do you mean by "unable to add/modify" - what exactly happens? What does the GUI do when you are trying this (and what exactly are you trying)?

vincent83 wrote:

II see the below error in the logs
    ...OK looking in the log files is good, unfortunately that error message looks like it is related to a JOB (I assume you found that in the BG log file?) and not what is happening when you are trying to do something in the GUI - so what are the messages in the APP log file?

Other stuff that is useful to mention would be... what Clarity version are you using, what BROWSER are you using...
    * We add new users to Clarity via LDAP. Once I add the user to the Active Directory group, we run the LDAP - Synchronize New and Changed Users job to bring the newly added user in the AD group into clarity. However, the job is currently failing.

• 4.  RE: This scheduled job failed. LDAP - Synchronize New and Changed Users

Posted May 03, 2012 03:20 PM
    This is for v13,
    https://supportcontent.ca.com/cadocs/0/CA%20Clarity%20PPM%2013%200%2000-ENU/Bookshelf_Files/HTML/install/index.htm?toc.htm?1673836.html
    bur see if it helps any

Next Topic: Common LDAP Synchronization Errors
    Troubleshoot LDAP Sync Jobs

When an LDAP synchronization job or authentication process does not work as expected, do any of the following:

Check the LDAP synchronization log files in the /niku/Clarity/logs/ldapsync directory.
    Check the users.xml file. This file contains a list of user names that are extracted from the LDAP server. If this file is missing, the communication between CA Clarity PPM and the LDAP server was unsuccessful.
    Check the sync.xml file. This file contains the results from a gateway user import session. If this file is missing, the communication between CA Clarity PPM and the gateway was unsuccessful.
    Enable debug messages in the security component by doing the following:
    Edit bg-logger.xml and add the "com.niku.security" category.
    Set the priority to "debug".
    Restart the CA Clarity background (bg) service so that the changes take effect.
    Check the bg-ca.log file.
    If you have multiple bg services in your cluster, shut down all but one (to make sure the job is running on the server that you are debugging) or enable debugging on all of them individually.

Copyright © 2011 CA. All rights reserved.

Martti K.

• 5.  RE: This scheduled job failed. LDAP - Synchronize New and Changed Users
    Best Answer

Posted May 09, 2012 11:32 AM

another_martink wrote:

This is for v13,
    https://supportcontent.ca.com/cadocs/0/CA%20Clarity%20PPM%2013%200%2000-ENU/Bookshelf_Files/HTML/install/index.htm?toc.htm?1673836.html
    bur see if it helps any

Next Topic: Common LDAP Synchronization Errors
    Troubleshoot LDAP Sync Jobs

When an LDAP synchronization job or authentication process does not work as expected, do any of the following:

Check the LDAP synchronization log files in the /niku/Clarity/logs/ldapsync directory.
    Check the users.xml file. This file contains a list of user names that are extracted from the LDAP server. If this file is missing, the communication between CA Clarity PPM and the LDAP server was unsuccessful.
    Check the sync.xml file. This file contains the results from a gateway user import session. If this file is missing, the communication between CA Clarity PPM and the gateway was unsuccessful.
    Enable debug messages in the security component by doing the following:
    Edit bg-logger.xml and add the "com.niku.security" category.
    Set the priority to "debug".
    Restart the CA Clarity background (bg) service so that the changes take effect.
    Check the bg-ca.log file.
    If you have multiple bg services in your cluster, shut down all but one (to make sure the job is running on the server that you are debugging) or enable debugging on all of them individually.

Copyright © 2011 CA. All rights reserved.

Martti K.
    This solution by support fixed my issue:

Create a job on your DB server that automatically deletes the row from
    cmn_directory_server table and then schedule that job to run before the ldap
    job.

Until you upgrade to 8.1 you need to implement the workaround ASAP to get
    this working properly.

Also - please note:

You should fix anything that is out of compliance with our LDAP setup on
    your other servers as well (QA DEV) as soon as you can. Your date format
    in both these environments was also incorrect. Check your ldap user in QA
    and DEV too. If you have any problems with those servers in the future,
    the first thing we will start with is to verify your configuration to insure
    you are in a supported configuration and you will have to do that before we
    can support you.

Secondly, you should continue to use the ldap user in production to run the
    sync job since we have seen some customers have problems where not
    everything is updated properly when they use a non-ldap user to run the jobs.