Clarity

Expand all | Collapse all

Coonection reset error while doing XOG in a Gel process

• 1.  Coonection reset error while doing XOG in a Gel process

Posted May 04, 2012 10:35 AM
    Hi All,

I have a process which does the resources update via XOG on a daily basis. since last few days the process is failing with an error "<soap:invoke> Failed to send a SOAP message generated to 'http://clarity/niku/xog'.Connection reset"
    Some times when I retry the process it works fine without any issues.

I am trying to find out the root cause of this issue. Need your help and expert advise.

Thanks,
    Hemant

• 2.  RE: Coonection reset error while doing XOG in a Gel process
    Best Answer

Posted May 06, 2012 03:51 PM
    Hi Hermant,
    is your http://clarity URL load balanced? if so, can you try using the direct IP or dns of the server?

• 3.  RE: Coonection reset error while doing XOG in a Gel process

Posted May 07, 2012 04:23 AM
    Hi Fpena,

Thank you for your quick post on this issue.
    Yes this URL is Load balanced and we have clustered environment which has 4 servers under it. All server are virtual severs on the same physical server.

As per you suggestion, I have updated the process to use IP address of one of the server and re-scheduled it. I will monitor today's instance and lets see how it goes.
    if it is an issue with the load balancer then what could be the corrective measures for this. is there any settings which we can check??

Thanks,
    Hemant

• 4.  RE: Coonection reset error while doing XOG in a Gel process

Posted May 17, 2012 06:48 AM
    Hi Fpena,
    We have modified the URL from Http://clarity and pointed to the server IP address. The process is working fine after that. Would you please let me know which setting I need to check with the network or the load balancer to get it work with URL http://clarity.

Thanks,
    Hemant

• 5.  RE: Coonection reset error while doing XOG in a Gel process

Posted May 18, 2012 07:29 AM
    Well this depends if you are logging out of your session after each xog.
    first, make sure you are not logging out until XOG is complete, for your load balancer has sticky sessions set. it sounds to me that it does not have that set correctly.

cheers,
    Federico

• 6.  RE: Coonection reset error while doing XOG in a Gel process

Posted May 21, 2012 06:39 AM
    Hi Federico,

Its a very small process and it generally completes within 10 minutes. I did check the session and it is not getting logged off.
    Is there any steps to check and set the sticky sessions at the load balancer correctly?

Thanks,
    Hemant

• 7.  RE: Coonection reset error while doing XOG in a Gel process

Posted May 21, 2012 08:16 AM
    Hi Hermant,
    the thing is Clarity needs sticky sessions for it to work, so the question i have is are any of the users complaining about weird behavioiur. Such as filters not executing correctly, or stuff not saving correctly?

For the stikcy sessions, this is a question for your network team, it really depends what type of load balancer they are using.
    Sorry i can't be of much help here
    cheers
    Federico

• 8.  RE: Coonection reset error while doing XOG in a Gel process

Posted May 23, 2012 07:41 AM
    Sticky sessions are strongly recommended (if you want any notion of scalability to occur in a clustered environment), but I wouldn't say required from a 'it cannot work without it' stand point technically. It is after all required of Clarity (if configured appropriately for clustering) that should an app service fail or be unreachable, that the load balancer should absolutely be able to redirect a user's incoming request to another app service and provide continuity of service to that user without losing their session.

Please do make sure that the XOG requests are sized appropriately that they will always complete inside of any constraints on the network regarding timeouts. I have seen this sort of problem occur where timeouts are set to 5 or 10 minutes, and a XOG request is near enough to this threshold to sometimes be under it, but sometimes be over it and so intermittently get killed, neither by Clarity or the client issueing the request, but something on the network inbetween.

Otherwise, it is quite possible and feasible for a monster XOG (or due to some problem) to take upwards of an hour to complete and Clarity would still be fine with that; it's not a hard coding or configuration of the app itself at play there that is terminating the connections, with the exception of some fault in the app server which you are seeing be logged in the app-niku log files (double check those).

• 9.  Re: Coonection reset error while doing XOG in a Gel process

Posted Apr 19, 2016 01:36 PM

Hi Nick,

Where this time-out setup? We are facing same issue in one of our server. 3 other server running fine but just one. Could you please explain where time-outs are set?

Thanks,

DJ

• 10.  Re: Coonection reset error while doing XOG in a Gel process

Posted Apr 19, 2016 04:50 PM

I cannot unfortunately, as they are not timeouts in the Clarity product as I mentioned.  They'll be imposed on your connections by your network appliances (firewalls / proxies / etc.) that your data passes through to get to and from the server.

• 11.  RE: Coonection reset error while doing XOG in a Gel process

Posted May 19, 2013 04:58 PM
    Hi Hemant_02 -
    What are you trying to XOG to? The reason I ask is that is I am attempting to XOG to "CUSTOM" objects and it fails. When I XOG to out of the box objects like Project or Idea, it succeeds.

Thanks,
    Lowell