DX Application Performance Management

Expand all | Collapse all

Missing CPU Metrics

• 1.  Missing CPU Metrics

Posted May 15, 2012 06:07 PM
    Introscope 9.1.0.2 on WebLogic 11G app servers
    Probably an easy answer, but I'm missing it...
    We installed Introscope on WebLogic app servers and in the test environment we are seeing CPU metrics, but when we rolled the agents out to our production environment, we are not seeing any of the CPU metrics. Does anyone have any ideas on what to check for causes of this? I was looking at the platform monitor settings thinking the agent might not be picking up the correct platform, but I believe we are using the same configuration and server platforms in our test and production environments. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• 2.  RE: Missing CPU Metrics

Posted May 15, 2012 09:33 PM
    Try overriding the default platform monitor from the agent profile, look for the below propeties and enable as per your platform, make sure whether its 64 or 32 bit.

#introscope.agent.platform.monitor.system=SolarisAmd32
    #introscope.agent.platform.monitor.system=SolarisAmd64
    #introscope.agent.platform.monitor.system=SolarisSparc32
    #introscope.agent.platform.monitor.system=SolarisSparc64
    #introscope.agent.platform.monitor.system=AIXPSeries32
    #introscope.agent.platform.monitor.system=AIXPSeries64
    #introscope.agent.platform.monitor.system=HP-UXItanium32
    #introscope.agent.platform.monitor.system=HP-UXItanium64
    #introscope.agent.platform.monitor.system=HP-UXParisc32
    #introscope.agent.platform.monitor.system=HP-UXParisc64
    #introscope.agent.platform.monitor.system=WindowsIntelAmd32
    #introscope.agent.platform.monitor.system=WindowsIntelAmd64
    #introscope.agent.platform.monitor.system=LinuxIntelAmd32
    #introscope.agent.platform.monitor.system=LinuxIntelAmd64

Also i would suggest to check for the relevant extensions in the <agent>/ext directory

Thanks,
    Suresh.S

• 3.  RE: Missing CPU Metrics

Posted May 16, 2012 08:29 AM
    I have the same issue with WebSphere on Windows Server 2008 R2. I have tried the platform override and it is not working. My 8.1 agent is reporting CPU metrics just fine.

• 4.  Thread Split

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 13, 2014 04:19 PM
    Issue has to do with a different hardware/software platform. The new thread can be found at [url=https://communities.ca.com/web/ca-wily-global-user-community/message-board/-/message_boards/view_message/98399249]https://communities.ca.com/web/ca-wily-global-user-community/message-board/-/message_boards/view_message/98399249[/url].

• 5.  RE: Missing CPU Metrics

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 27, 2012 10:29 AM
    I've installed 9.1.0.1 agents without issue. Have you checked your permissions settings to ensure that the agent can pull PerfMon counters?

• 6.  RE: Missing CPU Metrics

Posted Jun 27, 2012 11:26 PM

hdavis wrote:

I've installed 9.1.0.1 agents without issue. Have you checked your permissions settings to ensure that the agent can pull PerfMon counters?
    That's interesting. Yeah the agent has the correct rights. Perfmon counters are working as per the guides recommendation for 2003 servers.

I ended up raising a call, turns out Virtual servers platform monitoring is not supported, which is a little strange, as it works on 1 out of the 4 servers.

• 7.  RE: Missing CPU Metrics

Posted Jun 28, 2012 08:15 AM

danesen wrote:

hdavis wrote:

That's interesting. Yeah the agent has the correct rights. Perfmon counters are working as per the guides recommendation for 2003 servers.

I ended up raising a call, turns out Virtual servers platform monitoring is not supported, which is a little strange, as it works on 1 out of the 4 servers.
    Would you mind sharing your case number? I would like to open an incident as well to discuss.

• 8.  RE: Missing CPU Metrics

Posted Jun 28, 2012 09:31 PM

walter_kacynski wrote:

danesen wrote:

hdavis wrote:

Would you mind sharing your case number? I would like to open an incident as well to discuss.
    ****** - sorry but case has now been changed to the client site id, and I don't have persmission to share this...

• 9.  RE: Missing CPU Metrics

Posted Feb 18, 2014 09:45 AM

Introscope 9.5.1 / Weblogic 10.3 / JRockit R28.1.0-123-138454-1.6.0_20-20101014-1350-solaris-sparcv9 / Solaris M9000

I can't see the CPU metrics when I install the agent in this environment? Anyone have this problem?

I have agents 9.1.7 and 9.5.1 installed and both in the same situation.

• 10.  RE: Missing CPU Metrics

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 13, 2014 04:18 PM

Contact me directly if you still need help with this.

• 11.  RE: Missing CPU Metrics

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 28, 2012 09:13 AM
    why not just collect the VMWare performon counters? That's what I'm doing.

• 12.  RE: Missing CPU Metrics

Posted Jun 28, 2012 09:18 AM
    How do you accomlish this? Via an EPAgent?

• 13.  RE: Missing CPU Metrics

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 28, 2012 09:27 AM
    Depends on the platform.

On Windows, it's easy as accessing WMI connecting to the VMWare collection. There are instructions on how to view their PerfMon statistics on the VMWare KB.

For *nix, I've not had to do that, so I'd have to dig around a bit on the site and find out.

• 14.  RE: Missing CPU Metrics

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 28, 2012 09:30 AM
    I forgot to mention that the guest OS needs to have the VMWare Tools installed.

• 15.  RE: Missing CPU Metrics

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 28, 2012 09:56 AM
      |   view attached
    It's probably worth noting again that in Java application monitoring, the only CPU metric worth looking at is CPU|Utilization % (process).
    I'm attaching an old KB that explains why.

If you look at my Java agent installer, I insert a line into the agent profile that disables the aggregate metrics:
    introscope.agent.disableAggregateCPUUtilization=true

Attachment(s)

• 16.  RE: Missing CPU Metrics

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 13, 2014 04:18 PM

Brad,

Has this problem been resolved so we can mark this as answered?