Gary_Cherlet

IDMS R18, alternate approaches

Discussion created by Gary_Cherlet on Jun 7, 2012
Latest reply on Jun 27, 2012 by Gary_Cherlet
Chris,

I got a different song from CA at this time. I know it's because of MSM but I was told "All clients are entitled to do whatever they want with the software." I still think it makes no sense that they don't include the old usermod examples that were always there. I didn't create a custom source, I created PPOPTION instead. Also no custom load, only DBA load and target. Even before I got that far I deviated a lot in the SMP/E install. I didn't create a target source or maclib. Instead I pointed those DDEFs to SMPMTS. Works fine. Only downside from old way is I have to clean it out myself after accepts since SMP/E thinks it's target not temporary. I now wonder if I could have successfully altered the CSI definition more than I did so SMP/E would clean things up. Let me just post my SRTT umod to contrast yours, almost identical, other than sending my load module to target load, since I completely rejected the concept of custom load. There really is no good reason to have one IMO, and you certainly don't need to have one. I also think retaining PPOPTION makes sense. YMMV. Description was a good idea, I didn't think of it at the time. I wasn't a very happy camper, to put it mildly, until I got this all sorted out. I still find our support folks are there for us, but the MSM mentality, or more like lack of mentality, is very disturbing to me.

[color=#0005a6]
//*******************************************************************
//** THIS IS AN EXAMPLE OF A USERMOD WHICH YOU WOULD USE TO **
//** ASSEMBLE A MACRO THAT SMP/E HAS NEVER ASSEMBLED BEFORE, **
//** FOR EXAMPLE, RHDCSRTT. **
//** **
//** 1. PUT ASSEMBLY SOURCE STATEMENTS (WHICH CALL MACRO **
//** AND SUPPLY MACRO PARMS) INTO MEMBER IN PPOPTION. **
//*******************************************************************
//SMPPTFIN DD DATA,DLM='%%'
++USERMOD(UMODSRT).
++VER(Z038) FMID(CAGJI00).
++JCLIN.
//CAIDMS JOB (12345), 'CA-IDMS/DB INSTALL' THIS JOB CARD OK AS IS
//LNKNRMT EXEC PGM=IEWL,PARM='LET,MAP,LIST,NCAL'
//AAGJMOD DD DSN=DO.NOT.CHANGE.AAGJMOD,DISP=SHR
//SYSLMOD DD DSN=DO.NOT.CHANGE.CAGJLOAD,DISP=SHR
//SYSLIN DD *
ORDER RHDCSRTT
INCLUDE AAGJMOD(RHDCSRTT)
SETOPT PARM(REUS(REFR))
ENTRY SRTTEP1
NAME RHDCSRTT(R)
/*
++SRC(RHDCSRTT) DISTLIB(AAGJSRC) DISTMOD(AAGJMOD) TXLIB(PPOPTION).[color]

Looking at yours again I will also mention I rejected the nutty target and dist zone names and use the same ones I had from R17 and prior. How did you like the install guide? I did find out our WestWorld friends were apparently granted no input to the early sections and could only put their take in beginning with Chapter 6. I guess the corp. people are putting something in the kool-aid now... lol... Well I have more to do but have EZ-DB installed, AGG pack 1 on and selected fixes after that up to what is current. There is some more on my approach in the DOC file included in the Zip. Hope to hear of any other approaches folks have taken in here.

All the Best, John
John Fisher

Outcomes