Clarity

Expand all | Collapse all

Moving Clarity to New Server... Now Error!!!!

• 1.  Moving Clarity to New Server... Now Error!!!!

Posted Jun 13, 2012 05:51 PM
    I copied the Clarity folder over to a new Server. I get the following error when I try to run "NIKU STATUS ALL".

WHAT FILE ARE THE SERVICES LISTED IN SO I CAN MANUALLY DELETE THEM?????????????????

D:\>niku status all
    D:\niku\clarity\.setup\scripts\matchsvc.js(14, 1) WshShell.RegRead: Invalid root
    in registry key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Niku Syst
    em Admin Server\DisplayName".

D:\niku\clarity\.setup\scripts\matchsvc.js(14, 1) WshShell.RegRead: Invalid root
    in registry key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Niku Serv
    er\DisplayName".

in registry key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Niku Back
    ground Server\DisplayName".

• 2.  RE: Moving Clarity to New Server... Now Error!!!!

Posted Jun 14, 2012 05:35 AM
    Copying the Clarity software around really is NOT the way to move an installation from one server to another (much better would be just to install on the new server, or let the application distribute itself in a managed manner). :what:

But I think the answer to your excited question is just the "properties.xml" file in the config directory.

• 3.  RE: Moving Clarity to New Server... Now Error!!!!

Posted Jun 14, 2012 06:35 AM
    Just wondering again...
    What is your Clarity version?
    Did you look at your source system before copying and in the install guide and admin guide before you started?

If you version supports the command line install you can create nsa service from command line and then continue in NSA and configure the db connection there.

Martti K.

• 4.  RE: Moving Clarity to New Server... Now Error!!!!
    Best Answer

Posted Jun 26, 2012 07:54 PM
    Hi Dave,
    It turns out that the "services" are listed somewhere in the folder structure. To clear out the old service listings, use the command prompt command: NIKU ADD DEPLOY APP NSA BG BEACON

This "re-registers" the services in the new environment.

As for your recommendation, may I ask how the NSA can "see" a new server to "distribute" the files to? The NSA can't see any server the Beacon is not running on. When you have a new server in your environment, there is no Beacon running on that, nor a Clarity environment to launch the Beacon from. How do you get over this hurdle?

Thanks,
    Lowell

• 5.  RE: Moving Clarity to New Server... Now Error!!!!

Posted Jun 27, 2012 12:20 AM
    In versions prior to v13 (as the nikuadmin suggestes) the files needed services are in ..\Clarity\bin folder and if you CLARITY_HOME environmental parameter is set it will be included in the PATH those files can be found there.
    In Windows environments the services are services and listed as Niku xxxx in the list of services with the names given when created.

Martti K.

• 6.  RE: Moving Clarity to New Server... Now Error!!!!

Posted Jun 27, 2012 03:51 AM

Lowell wrote:

How do you get over this hurdle?
    Install the beacon! :tongue

(OK install "Clarity" on the server, that includes the beacon - then let Clarity sort it all out.
    Personally though I'd just install "Clarity" on the new server and then sort it out myself (just recreate my instance, pointing it at the "old" DB - this is not hard to do I think and pretty quick (and of course SUPPORTED) - only real complication I can think of is the filestore (if you use filesystem as the store rather than the DB))

• 7.  RE: Moving Clarity to New Server... Now Error!!!!

Posted Jul 03, 2012 04:58 AM

Dave wrote:

only real complication I can think of is the filestore (if you use filesystem as the store rather than the DB))
    And even for that there's a "nikuadmin" command (nikuadmin filestore migrate) that you can use to internalize the filestore into the database before you create the backup for the migration, and then dump it all out again, also using nikuadmin, on the target machine.

Daniel

• 8.  RE: Moving Clarity to New Server... Now Error!!!!

Posted Jul 30, 2012 12:18 PM
    Hi, I seem to be a month late to get in on this conversation. I have a two part question.

Going from 12.0.6 --> 12.1.1 --> 13.0

Question part 1: I'm trying to move my clarity installation to a set of new win2008 servers (deploying on WebLogic). These are my QA servers, since I need to make sure I get all of the issues worked out before I try to repeat it in PROD. Anyway, I copied my prod db to a the QA database server. Then I performed the install of Clarity on the 1st of the two app servers in the cluster. This install seemed to go well until I tried to do the HealhCheck in NSA. It seems to run (the pop-up appears), but there are no results. The nsa.ear, niku.ear, BG and Beacon all seem to work fine.

I am wondering if I had problems with the install because the database contained records which indicated that the install had already been performed? Should I have cleared out these records prior to running the installation steps (except for the db row?) ?

Question part 2: Now, for my 2nd server in the cluster. I was thinking that I could use the clarity distrubute mechanism to send the files from the initial server. I'm thinking that Beacon should be on that server for this to work, but am not sure how to get Beacon there and running? I can't find any documentation describing those steps.

Thanks for any advice. Terry

• 9.  RE: Moving Clarity to New Server... Now Error!!!!

Posted Jul 31, 2012 08:18 AM

dtietze wrote:

Dave wrote:

only real complication I can think of is the filestore (if you use filesystem as the store rather than the DB))
    And even for that there's a "nikuadmin" command (nikuadmin filestore migrate) that you can use to internalize the filestore into the database before you create the backup for the migration, and then dump it all out again, also using nikuadmin, on the target machine.

Daniel
    v13:
    $NIKU_HOME/bin/serviceant -f $NIKU_HOME/.setup/scripts/search.xml -projecthelp

v8 / v12:
    $NIKU_HOME/bin/nikuant -f $NIKU_HOME/.setup/scripts/search.xml -projecthelp
    Buildfile: C:\Clarity\13.0.1\.setup\scripts\search.xml

Main targets:

migrate Migrate documents from filesystem to database
    Default target: usage
    Please use this command ("[niku]admin search migrate") if, and only if, the intention/requirement is to permanently change from storing files directly on the disk, into the database. It is not a bi-directional command or action, there are no supported ways to undo it again aside from rolling back your system and data to a consistent point prior to running this command. In at least v12.1 and above, the command also first requires you to specifically set (and save) in the CSA the setting "Store files in database" as a safeguard, else it will assume you invoked the command by accident and will not run if the setting is still on "Store files on disk" instead (as per $NIKU_HOME/.setup/scripts/dmsblob.xml).

• 10.  RE: Moving Clarity to New Server... Now Error!!!!