DX NetOps

• 1.  Adding new ping device via RESTFUL into spectrum

Posted Jun 29, 2012 10:01 AM
    Hi All,

Sorry for all the questions! I hope these help others too!

I am trying to add a ping only device with:

curl -v -X POST 'http://<SERVER>:8080/spectrum/restful/model?landscapeid=0x100000&mtypehandle=0x10290&ipaddress=<IPADDRESS>&attr=0x1006e&val=<MODEL_NAME>&parentmh=0x30031a'

But get this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?><create-model-response xmlns="http://www.ca.com/spectrum/restful/schema/response" error-message="Error discovering the device at <IPADDRESS>.&lt;br&gt;&lt;br&gt;This device has responded to an ICMP ping request, but not to an SNMP request.&lt;br&gt;&lt;br&gt;Probable causes for SNMP failure:&lt;ul&gt;&lt;li&gt;The device may not be responding to SNMP requests. If the device is busy with network traffic, SNMP requests could be ignored.&lt;/li&gt;&lt;li&gt;Timeout and Retry values could be too low. Increase and try again.&lt;/li&gt;&lt;li&gt;SNMP community string &quot;public&quot; may be incorrect. SNMP devices will not respond to SNMP requests if the SNMP community string is not valid for the device.&lt;/li&gt;&lt;li&gt;Agent port number &quot;161&quot; may be incorrect. SNMP devices will not respond to SNMP requests if the agent port number is incorrect.&lt;/li&gt;&lt;li&gt;Check the device for Access Lists. If the device has an Access List, your machine will have to be added to receive SNMP requests.&lt;/li&gt;&lt;/ul&gt;" error="Failure"/>

I'm not sure why it's trying to discover it using snmp if I specify the modeltypestring of 0x10290 (Pingable) I would expect it not to try discover.

Has anyone been able to add a new ping only device into Spectrum in this way?

Regards,

Frank

• 2.  RE: Adding new ping device via RESTFUL into spectrum
    Best Answer

Posted Jul 02, 2012 07:08 AM
    Hi All,

I logged a ticket with CA and they mention that it is not possible to add a 'Pingable' device via RESTful. For this you need to use the Modeling Gateway.
    I managed to get the device added using this method.

Regards,

Frank

• 3.  Re: Adding new ping device via RESTFUL into spectrum

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 09, 2018 10:55 AM