Clarity

• 1.  Clarity 13.0 Upgrade issues

Posted Jul 06, 2012 02:50 PM
    Hello everyone,

Long story short, we have had issues upgrading Clarity 12.1 to Clarity 13.0.

Upgrade process finished well. The environment came up and we were able to login. Everything else worked, but the project object was on lockdown mode. Make any change to the project data and save, the edit just vanishes, no error message given and the page returned to the previous state looking as though nothing changed on the project. Even a minor change like appending a space to the description field of the project did not work.

When we reviewed the logs, they had the following message over and over:
    ERROR 2012-03-19 17:06:20,882 [http-8043-1] lookup.LookupTypeCache
    (clarity:claritysysadmin:29906228__C53B9CEB-03AD-4B95-B984-5A33D92C5E0D:main
    nav.work)
    Invalid lookup type: LOOKUP_SEC_BKPMGR
    ERROR 2012-03-19 17:06:20,882 [http-8043-1] lookup.LookupControllerImpl
    (clarity:claritysysadmin:29906228__C53B9CEB-03AD-4B95-B984-5A33D92C5E0D:main
    nav.work)
    Lookup: LOOKUP_SEC_BKPMGR doesn't exist

We checked version 12.1 production and did not find this lookup.

So, in a last ditch effort, I tried something else. A plain install of Clarity v13.0.1, let it run through completion to the CSA stage, where it just lets you install the CSA console and then you get on to CSA to perform db upgrade and xdm related post upgrade activities.

So, as per the plan, CSA got installed. Beacon and CSA are up at the moment. Went into the DB part and hit upgrade from NSA. It ran for a few minutes and it hit the wall with the following error:

Jul 6, 2012 1:36:09 PM Error executing command: db -javaHome E:\clarity\jdk1.6.0_20\jre core-upgrade
    E:\clarity\clarity\.setup\scripts\db.xml:1580: The following error occurred while executing this line:
    E:\clarity\clarity\.setup\scripts\db.xml:1756: ERROR: Upgrade failed. Please review the upgrade logs for details.

at org.apache.tools.ant.ProjectHelper.addLocationToBuildException(ProjectHelper.java:551)

at org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.Ant.execute(Ant.java:444)

at org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.CallTarget.execute(CallTarget.java:105)

at org.apache.tools.ant.UnknownElement.execute(UnknownElement.java:291)

at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor5.invoke(Unknown Source)

at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)

at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:597)

at org.apache.tools.ant.dispatch.DispatchUtils.execute(DispatchUtils.java:106)

at org.apache.tools.ant.Task.perform(Task.java:348)

I'm wondering if this last ditch approach really does not hold water becoz it's mapping apples to oranges? I am unsure. I'm still researching. In the meantime, has anyone upgraded a working version of v12.1 to v13.0 or v13.0.1 successfully? I am very interested in knowing your experiences. If any of you may have run into that missing lookup problem up there.

Your thoughts and ideas or even general discussion are most welcome. Our users are "really" amped about version 13, especially the part about the gantt chart being directly editable. And these roadblocks are causing some heartache.

Thanks, guys.

• 2.  RE: Clarity 13.0 Upgrade issues

Posted Jul 06, 2012 02:56 PM
    To make something clear, here is the sequence of steps on the last ditch approach:

1. Plain windows 2008 server image with no clarity folder.
    2. Install Java, Tomcat, set up env variables.
    3. Run install.bat to make it look like clarity is being installed brand new (note: no upgrade, just a fresh install)
    4. Login to CSA (CSA and beacon are now up)
    5. On server properties ~~> DB ~~> Point to the connection details of the v12.1 development database with the latest copy from production.
    6. Attempt upgrade to DB

• 3.  RE: Clarity 13.0 Upgrade issues

Posted Jul 06, 2012 05:22 PM
    That lookup does not exist in
    13.0.1.0102 01 0014 (Community sandbox)

I am suspicious of you second attempt.
    The way I understand it should go either
    1. Fresh install
    db up an available and the install uses the provided db dumb and restores that to the database

2. Upgrade install
    A working supported system
    see the install guide which services should be up
    The install script upgrades the files in the Clarity folder and makes the updates in the database.
    At the point you get to CSA db is already up and upgraded.

Yours is something between these, the install script has been run at the point you try to upgrade db in CSA. I suspect that does not work.

Martti K.

• 4.  RE: Clarity 13.0 Upgrade issues

Posted Jul 10, 2012 03:38 PM

another_martink wrote:

That lookup does not exist in
    13.0.1.0102 01 0014 (Community sandbox)

I am suspicious of you second attempt.
    The way I understand it should go either
    1. Fresh install
    db up an available and the install uses the provided db dumb and restores that to the database

2. Upgrade install
    A working supported system
    see the install guide which services should be up
    The install script upgrades the files in the Clarity folder and makes the updates in the database.
    At the point you get to CSA db is already up and upgraded.

Yours is something between these, the install script has been run at the point you try to upgrade db in CSA. I suspect that does not work.

Martti K.
    Marthi, thanks for the response. I tried the upgrade install (second approach) and that is where I ran into the lookup problem. Followed the upgrade guide and ran install.bat from the command prompt. Installation looked good and v13.0 was actually up. But it did not take any changes into the project object, like I mentioned prior.

I don't quite understand your statement in option 1. When you say provided db dump, are you saying install vanilla clarity with a plain db template from Clarity and then import the data dump? Can you please elaborate. Having not tried anything with a db dump, I'd be willing to try anything that works at this point.

Also, a question to the general users, was anyone able to upgrade a working 12.1 version of Clarity without major issues?

• 5.  RE: Clarity 13.0 Upgrade issues

Posted Jul 10, 2012 04:33 PM
      |   view attached
    The release notes for v13.0 say about installation

The installation process has been streamlined by instituting image-based deployment of
    the v13.0 database. In previous versions of CA Clarity PPM, database objects were
    created at the time of installation. With v13.0, a fully populated database image is
    imported by the database administrator. When the v13.0 installation is pointed to the
    imported database and CA Clarity PPM services are started, installation is complete.
    This new process greatly reduces the overall time to perform a new installation.

Reading it more carefully it says that the db administrator imports the image, it does not say the install does that.

As I wrote I did not see the lookup which gives the error on the systems I have looked at.

I have upgraded a couple of v12.1 systems to v.13.0. The upgrade script completed without errors and the system seemed to work OK.
    Later on it appears that there are problems opening projects in OWB because some missing tables.

Martti K.

• 6.  RE: Clarity 13.0 Upgrade issues

Posted Jul 10, 2012 06:55 PM
    Totally offtopic. But I am trying to upgrade another VM instance of 12.1 to 13.0.1 directly. I encountered a timestamp datatype issue and the build fails from there:

7/10/12 6:38 PM (ExecTask) Note: Foreign Keys have been disabled
    7/10/12 6:39 PM (ExecTask) Note: Triggers have been disabled
    7/10/12 6:39 PM (ExecTask) Process - table: CMN_AUDITS_TSV.xml
    7/10/12 6:39 PM (ExecTask) java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: 'timestamp(6)' is not a valid DataType
    7/10/12 6:39 PM (ExecTask)
    at com.niku.dbtools.xmlobjects.types.DataType.valueOf(DataType.java:261)
    at com.niku.dbtools.OracleExtractor.createColumn(OracleExtractor.java:624)
    at com.niku.dbtools.OracleExtractor.getColumns(OracleExtractor.java:772)
    at com.niku.dbtools.AbstractExtractor.getTable(AbstractExtractor.java:447)
    at com.niku.dbtools.DriverApp.compareSchemaObject(DriverApp.java:1539)
    at com.niku.dbtools.DriverApp.access$400(DriverApp.java:54)
    at com.niku.dbtools.DriverApp$EntryIterator.next(DriverApp.java:1713)
    at com.niku.dbtools.DriverApp.installSchemaDriver(DriverApp.java:425)
    at com.niku.dbtools.Utilities.run(Utilities.java:1300)
    at com.niku.dbtools.Utilities.main(Utilities.java:632)
    7/10/12 6:39 PM (ExecTask) Note: Foreign Keys and Triggers have been enabled
    7/10/12 6:39 PM (ExecTask) DBDriver failed to install!

Our Dev DB version is oracle 11.2.0.2. It does satisfy the requirement. I am investigating this, but am I missing something? DB parameter NLS_LANG was changed in regedit per the document instruction. Does any other oracle variable need to be tweaked?

• 7.  RE: Clarity 13.0 Upgrade issues
    Best Answer

Posted Sep 21, 2012 03:32 PM

xoggernaut wrote:

Totally offtopic. But I am trying to upgrade another VM instance of 12.1 to 13.0.1 directly. I encountered a timestamp datatype issue and the build fails from there:

7/10/12 6:38 PM (ExecTask) Note: Foreign Keys have been disabled
    7/10/12 6:39 PM (ExecTask) Note: Triggers have been disabled
    7/10/12 6:39 PM (ExecTask) Process - table: CMN_AUDITS_TSV.xml
    7/10/12 6:39 PM (ExecTask) java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: 'timestamp(6)' is not a valid DataType
    at com.niku.dbtools.xmlobjects.types.DataType.valueOf(DataType.java:261)
    at com.niku.dbtools.OracleExtractor.createColumn(OracleExtractor.java:624)
    at com.niku.dbtools.OracleExtractor.getColumns(OracleExtractor.java:772)
    at com.niku.dbtools.AbstractExtractor.getTable(AbstractExtractor.java:447)
    at com.niku.dbtools.DriverApp.compareSchemaObject(DriverApp.java:1539)
    at com.niku.dbtools.DriverApp.access$400(DriverApp.java:54)
    at com.niku.dbtools.DriverApp$EntryIterator.next(DriverApp.java:1713)
    at com.niku.dbtools.DriverApp.installSchemaDriver(DriverApp.java:425)
    at com.niku.dbtools.Utilities.run(Utilities.java:1300)
    at com.niku.dbtools.Utilities.main(Utilities.java:632)
    7/10/12 6:39 PM (ExecTask) Note: Foreign Keys and Triggers have been enabled
    7/10/12 6:39 PM (ExecTask) DBDriver failed to install!

Our Dev DB version is oracle 11.2.0.2. It does satisfy the requirement. I am investigating this, but am I missing something? DB parameter NLS_LANG was changed in regedit per the document instruction. Does any other oracle variable need to be tweaked?
    As the OP, I have to say I was able to resolve this issue. My apologies for not updating this thread.

Cause: A custom attribute whose lookup somehow disappeared, I am guessing one of us removed the lookup. So it continued to live in Clarity as a lookupless attribute. On moving to 13.0, the project object was constantly looking for this lookup and refusing to allow any update to any project.

Resolution: I dropped the custom attribute prior to the upgrade and it worked.

• 8.  RE: Clarity 13.0 Upgrade issues

Posted Oct 01, 2012 12:42 PM
    Thanks for letting everyone know you were able to resolve and what the solution was!