DX NetOps

• 1.  CA Business Intelligence Unable to view reports

Posted Jul 10, 2012 04:37 AM
    Hey everyone

I have recently installed Spectrum on one server, with One Click and Business intelligence on another server.
    I have setup all the integrations and they all seem to be ok.
    I can test the connection from OneClick admin page, and it says that it can successfully connect to BOXI.

However, when I try and get a report out of BOXI, i get this error message

Failed to open the connection. Availability by Class and Vendor: All Devices

Any tips on where I should be looking for more information ?

Thanks

• 2.  RE: CA Business Intelligence Unable to view reports
    Best Answer

Posted Jul 10, 2012 08:09 AM
    I just recently worked with Support on this same issue.

1. Make sure that your name resolution is configured properly on the Report Manager box and on the BOXI Box. They need to be able to resolve to one other with the correct names.

2. Look in the spectrum.customparams log file to see if there are any clues in there. That is where I found the name the BOXI was trying to use to connect to Report Manager and I was able to etc the host file to associate the IP to the name there (host file trumps DNS)

3. Make sure that there are no firewalls or other mechanisms blocking traffic between your RepMgr & Boxi Boxes

4. If that doesn't work, there are some SQL commands that you can run on your RepMgr DB to ensure that BOXI has the proper privs to read from the DB. If steps 1-3 don't yield results, update your entry and I will dig up the SQL commands.

-AB

• 3.  RE: CA Business Intelligence Unable to view reports

Posted Jul 10, 2012 09:12 PM

adambragg wrote:

I just recently worked with Support on this same issue.

1. Make sure that your name resolution is configured properly on the Report Manager box and on the BOXI Box. They need to be able to resolve to one other with the correct names.

2. Look in the spectrum.customparams log file to see if there are any clues in there. That is where I found the name the BOXI was trying to use to connect to Report Manager and I was able to etc the host file to associate the IP to the name there (host file trumps DNS)

3. Make sure that there are no firewalls or other mechanisms blocking traffic between your RepMgr & Boxi Boxes

4. If that doesn't work, there are some SQL commands that you can run on your RepMgr DB to ensure that BOXI has the proper privs to read from the DB. If steps 1-3 don't yield results, update your entry and I will dig up the SQL commands.

-AB
    1. BOXI and Report manager are installed on the same box
    2. Does that still apply if they are installed on the same box ?
    The log file should be located at CommonReporting3\Tomcat55\logs ? It's empty anyway.
    3. No firewalls...
    4. If you could be so kind, that would be very helpful

Thanks !

• 4.  RE: CA Business Intelligence Unable to view reports

Posted Jul 18, 2012 10:11 PM
    So I got annoyed, and wiped it all and set it all back up
    And I'm still having the same issue.

Anyone else have any more ideas ?

• 5.  RE: CA Business Intelligence Unable to view reports

Posted Jul 19, 2012 04:47 AM
    Hi Mate,

Try thiis:

On occasion you may see this error when trying to run reports if you have not used the CABI 3.2 that is available for download with Spectrum, for example, if you use the version of CABI 3.2 that is available with CA Spectrum Service Assurance (SSA) v2.5.

While it is possible to run and use an already installed version of CABI 3.2 (it must be the exact same version and service pack as in the package available with Spectrum) it is not recommended as the post install steps specific to Spectrum will not have been carried out with the result that Spectrum Report Manager (SRM) reports will not run correctly.

When you install the version of CABI 3.2 that is available for download with Spectrum, additional Spectrum specific post-install steps are run that enable the reporting function to work correctly.

Solution:

You should always aim to use the Spectrum specific version of CABI but if this is not possible and you are seeing the above error you should in addition run the following:

Download CA Business Intelligence r3.2 for Spectrum IM r9.2 for Windows DVD 1 of 3 DVD03144447E.iso in order to obtain the Spectrum specific post-installation scripts.

Disable the integration between Spectrum IM and BOXI:

Go to the Report Manager Admin Tools page on the One Click web console.

Disable the integration using the Business Objects Integration link.

Go to Manage Business Objects Content.

Click the "Remove Content" button.

Run the Spectrum post-installation scripts:

Copy the CA_NVM_EXE directory from the patch directory on the CABI install media to the BOXI machine.

In that directory, run the following script:

For Solaris/Linux: nvm_boxi_post_install_unix.sh
    For Windows: nvm_boxi_post_install_windows.exe

Note: This does not deploy the well-known parameters WAR file

Deploy the well-known parameters using CAF Deploy:

Find cafdeploy.tar.gz on the CABI install mediaUnzip to a temporary location.

Run the following command:

./cafdeploy md <caf directory> -u administrator p <BO_password> -l logfile

Note: The <caf directory> is found on the CABI install media

Re-enable the integration and re-try the reports.

Atlast check the database connection option in the registry and make that to Yes.

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Business Objects\Suite 12.0\Crystal Reports\DatabaseOptions\MergeConnectionProperties set to ‘Yes’

HTH

kalyan

• 6.  RE: CA Business Intelligence Unable to view reports

Posted Jul 20, 2012 10:37 AM
    Kalyan is spot on.
    I had this issue in a lab environment last year. I worked with CA Support and finally determined that the issue was that I was attempting to use the same CABI installation that I had previously downloaded for a Service Desk installation.
    The Spectrum CABI contains files that are not present in the CABI packaged with other CA products.
    I had Report Manager and CABI on the same server too, so I just uninstalled and reinstalled everything, using the correct CABI installation.

Regards,

Jayde

• 7.  RE: CA Business Intelligence Unable to view reports

Posted Jul 22, 2012 09:23 PM
    Thanks guys, I'll try it out and report back.

Muchly appreciated.