Clarity

• 1.  Can we set Job dependencies for clarity internal jobs

Posted Jul 30, 2012 10:28 AM
    Can we schedule the clarity job in such a way it runs after another job?

Scenario:

We have the follwoing jobs JOBA,JOBB,JOBC

JOBA should run after the JOBB
    and after JOBC ,another instance of JOBA should run..

Is it possible to schedule the job in this way?..

Thanks
    Nagaraj

• 2.  RE: Can we set Job dependencies for clarity internal jobs

Posted Jul 30, 2012 11:34 AM
    What you can do is set them incompatible in the Admin Tool > Reports and jobs so that they don't run simultaneously.
    Beyond that it up to the schedule. You cannot specify sequence of the jobs other than putting the scheduled time times in sequence (that is easier with crontab formatting)
    If two jobs are incompatible the one scheduled later does not start before the one running is completed. So somewhere in your schedule you should have slag to that there will not be a problem if the jobs start running longer than anticipated.

Martti K.

• 3.  RE: Can we set Job dependencies for clarity internal jobs
    Best Answer

Posted Jul 30, 2012 12:13 PM
    Can you get a process to control this*?

i.e. the step in a process is "Run a Job" which the process could do one after another (waiting for job completion at each step).
    When the last job has finished, the process then runs another job (to restart the process).

....* - Note I have never tried this, so this is just a GUESS.

• 4.  RE: Can we set Job dependencies for clarity internal jobs

Posted Jul 30, 2012 12:47 PM
    Thnks for the idea..

Now i have created the process...

• 5.  RE: Can we set Job dependencies for clarity internal jobs

Posted Jul 30, 2012 12:08 PM
    Yes, you can schedule a Clarity job to run is such a way it runs after another job using the Jobs Definition page in the Admin Tool in combination with the Scheduled Jobs page in the application.

For the Scenario described, you would make Job A incompatible with both Job B and Job C in the Admin Tool. You would then schedule jobs B and C to run at their appointed start times in the application. Without knowing specific details, assume Job B and Job C each take 5 minutes to complete their runs. With this information, you could then schedule Job A to run, for example, 2 minutes after the scheduled start times of jobs B and C. Since Job A is incompatible with jobs B and C, Job A will be in Waiting status when it kicks off at its scheduled time and won't begin until after Job B and Job C complete their runs.

Hope this helps.

Don

• 6.  RE: Can we set Job dependencies for clarity internal jobs

Posted Jul 30, 2012 12:27 PM
    Hey marti,

Thnks for the followup.

can u pls elobrate ,how to setup incompatible job sequence?

Thanks
    Nagaraj

• 7.  RE: Can we set Job dependencies for clarity internal jobs

Posted Jul 30, 2012 12:35 PM

naga_clarity wrote:

can u pls elobrate ,how to setup incompatible job sequence?

Martti wrote:

What you can do is set them incompatible in the Admin Tool > Reports and jobs so that they don't run simultaneously.
    So go into the Admin Tool, select Reports and Jobs, select your job and then select the Incompatible Jobs section!

Not really sure how much more anyone can elaborate on that! :glare:

• 8.  RE: Can we set Job dependencies for clarity internal jobs

Posted Jul 30, 2012 12:56 PM
    Sorry i did't look at that section b4...:wacko:

let me try to do that nw...

• 9.  RE: Can we set Job dependencies for clarity internal jobs

Posted Jul 30, 2012 02:30 PM
    Admin Tool > Jobs
    Job incompatibilities
    Crontab scheduling for recurrence.

Martti K.

P.S. Sorry about the fancy colors, they are from the v12 Sandbox

• 10.  RE: Can we set Job dependencies for clarity internal jobs

Posted Jul 30, 2012 12:42 PM
    There are two ways to achieve the same. Now it depends on your requirement. I believe JOB A, JOB B and JOB C are custom jobs or OOTB Job.

1- In my setup, I have incompatible jobs configuration for OOTB Jobs like While Investment allocation is running -> do not run time slicing.
    2- I have many custom Java Jobs and SQL procedure type jobs and we have a month end process which is calling the custom jobs of type Java and SQL Procedures type. Here we are running the jobs in sequence as you mentioned Example->

Clarity Process-> Process Step 1->Run Post Time sheet Job-> On completion of step 1
    Process Step 2->Run Post custom Job ->On completion of step 1
    Process Step 3->Run Post custom Job....Etc

then we are using the Clarity OOTB Job called "Execute a Process" and calling our Custom process as mentioned above and it is working fine.

In order to configure the Incompatible Jobs follow the below steps...

1-Move to Clarity Studio Side if you are below Version Clarity V13-> L.H.S Menu Data Administration->Reports and Jobs-> Open your Job-> In L.H.S Menu ->Below Parameter Oder link->Click on Incompatible Jobs->Select the job which you do not want to run when Job A is running.