AnsweredAssumed Answered

Moving an existing Clarity Installation to new application servers.

Question asked by TDBecker on Aug 3, 2012
Latest reply on Aug 8, 2012 by another_martink
Hi, I've been tossing around various scenarios for how I am going to both upgrade my Clarity installation (12.0.6 to 12.1.1 and finally 13.0 ) as well as move the application to new VM servers. I've been playing around with copying the clarity root folder to the new server as well as doing a fresh install of the 12.0.6 version prior to the upgrade.

I found one article where someone installed Clarity against a blank database schema, then pointed the new install to the existing database before running the upgrade. That seems to make sense to me.

Here is my environment.

Application is on Windows and is deployed in WebLogic
Database is Oracle.

I am currently working on my QA environment so that I can practice the upgrade without impacting my users. If all goes well, I will follow the same process when I go to PROD.

So, what is the concensus out there in the community?

Option 1. Install Clarity 12.0.6 on my new server using a copy of the existing 12.0.6 database. Then upgrade 12.0.6 to 12.1.1.
Option 2. Copy the Clarity 12.0.6 root directory to the new server, then upgrade the 12.0.6 to 12.1.1.
Option 3. Install Clarity 12.0.6 against a new Clarity database, drop the database and point the fresh install to the existing 12.0.6 database. Then upgrade 12.0.6 to 12.1.1.
Option 4. something else??

NOTE: I have been asked by my management to upgrade to 12.1.1 before going to 13.0 for testing.

Thanks for any help, I'll be interested in hearing what experiences everyone has had with these scenarios.
Terry

Outcomes