DX NetOps

• 1.  Spectrum not receiving traps.

Posted Aug 13, 2012 06:16 AM
    Hi,

i setup the device to send traps to spectrum server, but however we are unable to receive the traps.

Can any one let me know where spectrum stores all the trap information.

Regards,
    Kavi

• 2.  RE: Spectrum not receiving traps.

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 13, 2012 06:22 AM
    Hi Kavi:

Have you set up a sniffer? Are the traps even making it to spectrum? If not is a firewal / ACL involved? Did you check the events reported ont he VNM model. You could be seeing them there

HTH
    Joe

• 3.  RE: Spectrum not receiving traps.

Posted Aug 13, 2012 09:56 AM
    check the event tab of vnm element, maybe the traps are going there.

• 4.  RE: Spectrum not receiving traps.

Posted Aug 13, 2012 12:04 PM
    Hi,

In a distributed environment, we have to direct traps to MLS server or to the respective dss server.

whats the diff between forwarding traps to MLS and DSS..

Regards,
    Kavi

• 5.  RE: Spectrum not receiving traps.

Posted Aug 13, 2012 12:12 PM
    You can send all traps to the MLS and it foward to anothers DSS using the "Trap Director" or the device can send traps only to the spectro server where device exists.

Diego

• 6.  RE: Spectrum not receiving traps.

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 13, 2012 12:42 PM
    Hi Kavi:

I think for purposes of simplicity we often see customers send traps to one place, the MLS and then let the MLS use trap director to forward to the appropriate dss based on if a match is found between the agent ip of the trap that was received and the ip addresses in the cache records

Joe

• 7.  RE: Spectrum not receiving traps.

Posted Aug 14, 2012 08:00 AM
    Hi,

Final Query:-

If i send the trap to respective dss server in a distributed environment, will it show it under events.

Regards,
    Kavi

• 8.  RE: Spectrum not receiving traps.

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 14, 2012 08:33 AM
    Hi Kavi,

When the trap is received on a given SpectroSERVER it will either show up in the events on the model of the device it came from if it is mapped properly or it will show up in the events of the VNM model if the device generating the trap is not modeled. If it is not mapped, via an AlertMap entry, then if will show up as an unknown trap, but the event would still be present on the modeled device. I hope this helps. Let us know if you have any further questions. -Roger

• 9.  RE: Spectrum not receiving traps.

Posted Aug 13, 2012 01:03 PM
    I had simmilar problem on different Management System :-) There was some SNMP agent which used same port.
    * Try stop CA Spectrum process and check the port UDP 162 . This port should be free.
    * Start the spectrum and try to use packet sniffer like Wireshark (ethereal) and check incoming traps.
    * If you will have still problems, You can try find solution with CA support team.:-)

Tomas