Clarity

• 1.  purpose of Datamart jobs in CA Clarity, How it is related with TSV?

Posted Aug 31, 2012 02:55 AM
    Hi All,

As Datamart jobs runs for long time (more than 10 hours)/ sometime it wont complete. So we are not using Datamart jobs instead we are using only TSV data.

I like to know
    -more in detail about Datamart jobs.
    -How datamart related with TSV ?
    -how it is used in CA Clarity PPM?
    -what are impacts (impacts on Clarity Portlets, Jobs,etc) the Datamart job will cause if it is not run?

Please help me to know about this.

Many thanks in advance.

regards,
    Prabhu

• 2.  RE: purpose of Datamart jobs in CA Clarity, How it is related with TSV?

Posted Aug 31, 2012 03:20 AM
    There should be no impact* on ANY stock Clarity portlets - the "application" does not use the datamart tables (it does use the slice tables though, including hidden slices). If you have built (NSQL) any local bespoke portlets then you need to verify whether they use datamart tables.

I'm not sure about the stock reports, some of these may use datamart tables? And again, any locally developed reports would have to be checked too.

In one installation I have, we stopped running the datamart a couple of years ago (also because it would never complete). We don't use any stock reports at all in that instance and the application has worked "just fine" since then.

But of course, with any of these things, you need to test this (stopping the datamart) and prove that it does not have impact on your business functionality.

* - CA will say things like "you need to run the datamart at least once" to populate some base data tables - not 100% sure what/why this is.

• 3.  RE: purpose of Datamart jobs in CA Clarity, How it is related with TSV?

Posted Aug 31, 2012 04:28 AM
    "* - CA will say things like "you need to run the datamart at least once" to populate some base data tables - not 100% sure what/why this is. "

That might be 'cause of the tables like nbi_dim_obs ... :*)

NJ

• 4.  RE: purpose of Datamart jobs in CA Clarity, How it is related with TSV?
    Best Answer

Posted Aug 31, 2012 04:43 AM
    ^ actually something to do with some "calendar" information in the system I think.

Those nbi_dim_obs tables ARE part of the datamart; so if you are using them in bespoke queries you ARE using the datamart! :blink:

... but I realise that they seem to be "useful" tables in their own right....
    so you can rebuild "just" those tables by running part of the datamart rather then the whole thing...you clear out NBI_DIM_OBS and NBI_DIM_OBS_FLAT then run NBI_POPULATE_OBS_DIM_SP and the table gets rebuilt OK*.
    :what: Clearly that is a totally "unsupported" / "bad-advice" / "don't rely on this" / "you may break your Clarity instance" / "read that disclaimer at the bottom of the screen" sort of statement so I do not advise doing that unless you really really (really) know what you are doing and have spoken with CA about it! :what:

(* - and for the record, I do NOT do this, we recoded any use of the NBI_DIM_OBS tables when we switched off the datamart to use other non-datamart or bespoke tables, which is what we should have done in the first place!)

• 5.  RE: purpose of Datamart jobs in CA Clarity, How it is related with TSV?

Posted Aug 31, 2012 05:56 AM
    Agreed ...:wink:

NJ

• 6.  RE: purpose of Datamart jobs in CA Clarity, How it is related with TSV?

Posted Aug 31, 2012 06:09 AM
    NBI_DIM_CALENDAR_TIME is also referenced by some portlets, so yes, you should run the Datamart job at least periodically, even if it is only once a week or once a month.

• 7.  RE: purpose of Datamart jobs in CA Clarity, How it is related with TSV?

Posted Sep 05, 2012 01:35 AM
    Thank you all for your information.

I like to know the difference between Datamart Extraction and Datamart Rollup - Time Facts and Time Summary jobs.

- Why datamart rollup is used?
    - what are the outputs of it?
    - what are impacts if datamart rollup is not used?

Many thanks in advance.

Prabhu

• 8.  RE: purpose of Datamart jobs in CA Clarity, How it is related with TSV?

Posted Sep 05, 2012 02:55 AM
    From the Admin guide

Datamart Rollup - Time Facts and Time Summary Job
    This is an optional job that populates the following time facts and time summary tables
    for resources who want to develop custom reports:
    ■ NBI_PM_PT_FACTS
    ■ NBI_FM_PT_FACTS
    ■ NBI_RT_FACTS
    ■ NBI_PM_PROJECT_TIME_SUMMARY
    ■ NBI_FM_PROJECT_TIME_SUMMARY
    ■ NBI_RESOURCE_TIME_SUMMARY
    The populated data is not used in standard CA Clarity PPM reports.
    Requirements
    (Recommended) Run this job after the Datamart Extraction job.
    Restrictions
    This job cannot run concurrently with the following jobs:
    ■ Datamart Rollup - Time Facts and Time Summary
    Other instances of this job cannot exist.
    ■ Datamart Extraction
    ■ Delete Investments
    Parameters
    None

Martti K.