CA Service Management

• 1.  How to kill user hung sessions

Posted Sep 12, 2012 11:59 AM
    Hi Everyone,

When I see pdmwebstat, i see lot user sessions hung on one of secondary webengine, that patticular webengine is unable to serve the request efficiently.

Is there any way to kill these session so that webengine is freed and use the application to serve the user requests

• 2.  RE: How to kill user hung sessions
    Best Answer

Posted Sep 12, 2012 08:25 PM

Hari.Saligommula wrote:

Hi Everyone,

When I see pdmwebstat, i see lot user sessions hung on one of secondary webengine, that patticular webengine is unable to serve the request efficiently.

Is there any way to kill these session so that webengine is freed and use the application to serve the user requests
    Hello Hari,

I recommend changing the focus of the question on to "What are there many orphaned users sessions showing in pdm_webstat?"

Killing the webengine process will remove all of them (and all other) users. It will restart.

But better to go to root cause. I recommend contacting CAT Support to assist with trouble-shooting at CAT Support.

Please also refer to Posting Suggestions.

Knowing the versions would be helpful here, as there are some patches available:

SDM 12.5. Problem USRD 1767.
    PDM_WEBSTAT REPORT SHOWS INCORRECT SESSION COUNT

SDM 12.6. Problem USRD 1995.
    SESSIONS MAY NOT TIMEOUT

There is also a timeout variable which may be helpful:
    1.Edit the file weg.cfg and .tpl file.
    2. On the paramenter Timeout, remove the '!' and change 60 to 360
    3. Save and recycle the SD services.

But again, my main advice is to focus on why there are orphaned sessions and engage CAT Support.

Thanks, Kyle_R.

• 3.  RE: How to kill user hung sessions

Posted Sep 13, 2012 06:46 PM
    If your users are logging in to Service Desk and then closing their browser (or tab) that does not log them out. The session stays alive until the timeout expires. If the user then opens a browser and logs back into Service Desk that is a completely new session. If this is what your users are doing then changing the timeout from 60 minutes to 360 minutes will only leave more sessions sitting waiting for the timeout.

If you do a pdm_webstat -D (uppercase D) you can see the last time an interaction on each session occurred. If the time is older than the current time minus the timeout then that session will stay until your restart the webengine (or Service Desk).

• 4.  RE: How to kill user hung sessions

Posted Sep 20, 2012 02:56 PM
    Hi Hari,

Did the responses provided help answer your question? If so please mark the posts as Accepted Solution.

Thanks!
    Chris