DX Application Performance Management

• 1.  Coherence MBeanConnector

Posted Sep 21, 2012 04:23 AM
    Hi,
    sorry but for my part, I have an issue in collecting JMX metrics for Coherence 3.6 in a MBeanConnector node.

On my platform, I use Introscope 8.2.3, Coherence CacheServers, Caches in WebLogic 10.3.4 and a Coherence MBeanServer Node (com.tangosol.net.management.MBeanConnector -rmi).

When activating the following property on a WebLogic node, I can see Coherence/.... metrics under the node JMX of the investigator.
    -Dtangosol.coherence.management=local-only
    But on the MBeanConnector node which is the one that must be monitored for Coherence metrics of other nodes, I define
    -Dtangosol.coherence.management=all
    No JMX node is available in the investigator, only Agent Stats, CPU, File System, ....

I've configured the agent as :
    introscope.agent.jmx.enable=true
    # tried also with jsr77 true and false
    introscope.agent.jmx.name.jsr77.disable=true
    # tried also primaryKeys empty and commented
    introscope.agent.jmx.name.primarykeys=Type,Name
    introscope.agent.jmx.name.filter=Coherence|*type=Cache
    # tried excludeStringMetrics with true
    introscope.agent.jmx.excludeStringMetrics=false
    About the MBeanConnector node, here are the significant java options :
    -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote=true  -Dtangosol.coherence.management=all -Dtangosol.coherence.management.remote=true -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.port=3458 -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.ssl=false -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.authenticate=false -Dtangosol.coherence.management.remote.registryport=9991 -Dtangosol.coherence.management.remote.connectionport=3000  com.tangosol.net.management.MBeanConnector -rmi
    Not sure if rmi configuration could be the reason of my issue.

Any idea ?
    Thx

• 2.  RE: Coherence MBeanConnector
    Best Answer

Posted Sep 28, 2012 01:30 PM
    Found a way to do it using a custom Agent :
    http://blog.ribomation.com/introscope/jmx-agent/

It allows you to monitor JMX metric by an agent on any JVM 1.5+.

Thx Jens.

• 3.  RE: Coherence MBeanConnector

Posted Sep 28, 2012 01:51 PM
    We have Coherence JMX metrics through the Java agent (v9.0.6.5) by doing the following.

On the Coherence instance:

-Dtangosol.coherence.management=all

In the agent installation, make sure that WebAppSupport.jar is in the wily/ext directory. If it's not, either copy it to the wily/ext directory or create a symlink to it.

In the agent profile, we have (the filter was filtered down to what we needed):

#######################
    # JMX Configuration
    #
    # ================
    # Controls collection of data from JMX MBeans;
    # set to true to gather JMX data in the Introscope Agent.
    # You must restart the managed application before changes to this property take effect.

introscope.agent.jmx.enable=true

# Configure primary name keys to use for conversion of
    # MBean names into Introscope metric names;
    # A comma-separated, ordered list of keys which
    # should uniquely identify a particular MBean.
    # You must restart the managed application before changes to this property take effect.

#introscope.agent.jmx.name.primarykeys=

# Controls which JMX data is gathered - a comma-separated
    # list of desired keywords If the Introscope metric name contains
    # one of them, the metric will be polled by the Introscope Agent.
    # Leave empty to include all MBean data available in the system.
    # * and ? wildcard characters are supported and can be escaped with \\.

introscope.agent.jmx.name.filter=Cluster:ClusterName,Cluster:ClusterSize,Cluster:MemberIds,Cluster:Members,Cluster:Running,Node:Id,Node:MachineName,Node:MemoryAvailableMB,Node:MemoryMaxMB,Node:PacketDeliveryEfficiency,Node:PacketsRepeated,Node:PacketsResent,Node:ProcessName,Node:PublisherSuccessRate,Node:ReceiverSuccessRate,Node:RoleName,Node:TrafficJamCount,Node:TrafficJamDelay,Node:UnicastAddress,Node:UnicastPort,PointToPoint:PauseRate,PointToPoint:Paused,PointToPoint:PublisherSuccessRate,PointToPoint:ReceiverSuccessRate,PointToPoint:ViewerStatistics,Service:PartitionsEndangered,Service:PartitionsUnbalanced,Service:PartitionsVulnerable,Service:RequestAverageDuration,Service:RequestMaxDuration,Service:RequestPendingCount,Service:RequestPendingDuration,Service:RequestTimeoutCount,Service:StatusHA,Service:TaskHungCount,Service:TaskHungDuration,Cache:AverageGetMillis,Cache:AverageHitMillis,Cache:AverageMissMillis,Cache:AveragePutMillis,Cache:CacheHits,Cache:CacheHitsMillis,Cache:CacheMisses,Cache:CacheMissesMillis,Cache:Size,Cache:Units,WebLogicHttpSessionManager:LocalAttributeCount,WebLogicHttpSessionManager:LocalSessionCount,WebLogicHttpSessionManager:SessionAverageLifetime,WebLogicHttpSessionManager:SessionAverageSize,WebLogicHttpSessionManager:SessionMaxSize,WebLogicHttpSessionManager:SessionMinSize,WebLogicHttpSessionManager:SessionTimeout,WebLogicHttpSessionManager:SessionUpdates

# Controls which (if any) JMX MBean attributes are to be ignored.
    # A comma-separated list of desired keywords. If an MBean attribute
    # name matches one in this list then it will be ignored.
    # Leave empty to include all MBean attributes.

#introscope.agent.jmx.ignore.attributes=server

# Controls whether or not to include string-valued metrics.
    # Excluding string-valued metrics reduces the overall metric
    # count, improving agent and EM performance. To enable
    # string-valued metrics, set this property value to false.
    introscope.agent.jmx.excludeStringMetrics=false