Symantec IGA

• 1.  How to launch etautil from Policy Xpress

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 02, 2012 12:36 PM

Policy Xpress supports an option to launch an external program using a command line interface. This option is available on the Action Rules under the 'External Codes' category, 'Activate Command Line' type and 'Execute Command Line' function.
    We ran across an issue when trying to use that to launch the etautil utility. This launch will fail if using the command as follows:

Command = etautil -f FileName -u AdminName -p Password

When launched in this way the View Submitted Tasks will show an error suggesting:
    Execute command line: Generated By Policy Xpress: Failed to execute ExecuteCommandLineEvent. ERROR MESSAGE: IOException: Cannot run program ""etautil"": CreateProcess error=2, The system cannot find the file specified

This can be solved by changing the Command as follows:
    Command = "C:\Program Files\CA\Identity Manager\Provisioning Server\bin\etautil" -f FileName -u AdminName -p Password

For example: "C:\Program Files\CA\Identity Manager\Provisioning Server\bin\etautil" -f c:\etautil_add.txt -u AdminName -p Password

Note the double quotes that wrap the full path of the etautil command. It is all required ( both full path and wrapping quotes ). Also, please note that the file that's being run (in my case etautil_add.txt) needs also to be specified by full path but without double quotes.

Yours,

Sagi Gabay,
    CA Technologies.

• 2.  RE: How to launch etautil from Policy Xpress

Posted Oct 24, 2012 02:46 PM
    Hi Sagi,

Looks like I missed seeing a couple of your tips. Thanks for posting these!

:grin:

• 3.  Re: How to launch etautil from Policy Xpress

Posted Aug 28, 2015 03:50 PM

We're hosting the Provisioning Server on a different box than the IM Application Server, so our IM app server doesn't have a %ProgramFiles%\CA\Identity Manager\Provisioning Server directory, nor its contents.  Do we need to install Provisioning Server on our app server to launch ETAUTIL from Policy Xpress policies?  Or can we simply copy and paste the Provisioning Server \bin folder from the Provisioning Server to the IM Application Server?

• 4.  Re: How to launch etautil from Policy Xpress

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 28, 2015 04:15 PM

Hi Ralph,

This is a good question but is unrelated to Policy Xpress. From PX standpiont you simply need the etautil executable available anywhere in the path (of the operating system) and simply call it via command line. In fact from PX standpoint etautil is not the issue, PX simply invokes a command line interface and any batch or script that you can launch from the command line is available this way from PX.

The real question, as you pointed out is what are the dependencies of etautil, what DLLs, Lib files or other files it needs to run and how we get them in place. I understand that is what you asked in the first place - my upper narrative is only in the context of this post. About what you're asking:  Unfortunately I don't know. I would believe you need to install the provisioning components to guarantee all these utilities are available along with their dependencies in an appropriate fashion. For instance, perhaps some of the dependent DLLs are COM objects which needs to be registered in the Windows registry. We don't see etautil separately then the rest of the utilities. We provide them as a package deal and so while I don't know the answer , if I were you I would recommend you do install the utilities as a package , this probably will be the safest way to get it to work. If you were to explore the dependencies yourself then you may end up working hard to find them , then understand their own requirements of registration, location and their own possible dependencies. I would not suggest you go down this path.  So, my recommendation - yes, install.

Sagi

• 5.  Re: How to launch etautil from Policy Xpress

Posted Aug 28, 2015 04:26 PM

I feel silly. I didn't bother looking for the ETAUTIL.EXE file on the IM app server in the first place.  I found it there in "%ProgramFiles%\CA\Identity Manager\Provisioning Manager\bin\etautil.exe".  I should've looked before I posted.  This means I don't have to install Provisioning Server on the IM app server.

Thanks for the great reply, though.  And, if nothing else, at least I gave your useful tip a healthy bump. 

• 6.  Re: How to launch etautil from Policy Xpress

Posted Feb 12, 2016 10:56 AM

Sagi,

I'm unable to get to the KB article you provided, its been 2 days now - so Im assuming the scheduled maintenance is still in progress? Do you have physical document, my apologies if its not your article - SAP Portal Services

-MF