IT Process Automation

• 1.  Need suggestions regarding Multi-threading in ca-itpam

Posted Oct 08, 2012 07:06 AM
    Hi All,

can anyone help me out on following??

Say, I have to picked-up some 500 (may increase upto 3000 also) tickets (having different server entries) directly from a ITSM tool, now I have to run remediation for all tickets in one go, as all tickets are critical having less than 1 hr SLA. I want an idea to launch/trigger a flow for remediation of all that tickets together,,, at ONE go/time (not using as number of operators).

Any suggestion would be helpful.

-Amarankit
    amarankitsrivasta@hcl.com

• 2.  Moving thread.

Posted Oct 08, 2012 10:47 AM
    Moving this question to the General Discussion where questions are asked and answered. :)

Mary

• 3.  RE: Need suggestions regarding Multi-threading in ca-itpam

Posted Oct 12, 2012 07:40 AM
    Hi,
    What our usecase demands is that all the incoming requests from users should be processed parallely instead of serial order. Since the SLA value is attached to the ticket hence multi threading is the key for us. We would appriciate any response on this .

• 4.  RE: Need suggestions regarding Multi-threading in ca-itpam

Posted Oct 12, 2012 10:45 AM
    Hi,

to be honest i don't think that's possible, however if someone disagrees with me please anwser...

best regards

Miguel Silva

• 5.  RE: Need suggestions regarding Multi-threading in ca-itpam

Posted Oct 17, 2012 03:37 PM

banner wrote:

What our usecase demands is that all the incoming requests from users should be processed parallely instead of serial order. Since the SLA value is attached to the ticket hence multi threading is the key for us. We would appriciate any response on this .
    Amarankit,

First, as a disclaimer, I have zero experience with ITSM, so I apologize if I'm about to suggest something unhelpful.

Your requirement is that the requests have to be processed in parallel, but that's not the same as saying that they have to be processed all in one shot. Can I assume that you are capable of fetching the list of tickets which need to be processed? If so, you could enter a loop to process each ticket individually, but use that loop to call a detached PAM process which handles the individual ticket. Using a detached PAM process instead of a regular or inline process means that the parent process can continue running without waiting for the child to terminate - so the tickets remediation processes are spawned one at a time, but processed in parallel.

As an aside - if you're looking at spawning 3000 PAM processes at the same time, you may want to use something like a resource object to make sure that you don't have too many running at the same time, especially if those processes are particularly complex.

Hope this helps,
    Sam

• 6.  RE: Need suggestions regarding Multi-threading in ca-itpam

Posted Oct 19, 2012 06:39 AM
    Hi,

Thanks for responding.

yes, we have all 3000 tickets and respective details in-hand at a time but we cant through all details in process if it is running in a loop and if we consider loop it will be create instances one -by -one instead of going for in parallel.

If we could have some operator like "spawn" which takes all input and launches as number of tickets.

Thanks-
    Amarankit

• 7.  RE: Need suggestions regarding Multi-threading in ca-itpam

Posted Oct 22, 2012 02:42 PM
    Okay - I still think that using a loop is the only way to do what you're trying to do. If you use a Detached PAM Process in the loop, all of those individual ticket remediation processes will be run in parallel. Unless I'm missing something, that is what you really care about, not whether or not the processes are spawned in a single step or in a loop.