DX Application Performance Management

• 1.  8 to 9.1 migration. Convert flat files to Postgres?

Posted Oct 09, 2012 04:11 PM
    Hello,

We are planning on upgrading our infrastructure from 8 to 9.1. Our version 8 is running on flat files, but we would like to have it converted to Postgres and was wondering if anyone could point me towards documentation that explains the process.

The reason we want to go with Postgres is because it will offer easier data extraction, which we will use for internal monitoring application that would pull information from all of our 3rd party monitoring applications. Unless there is an easy way to extract data from flat files too?

Thank you.

• 2.  RE: 8 to 9.1 migration. Convert flat files to Postgres?
    Best Answer

Posted Oct 10, 2012 06:11 AM
    You want to move the smartstor data to postgres, right? The postgres database is only used for the triage map and CEM. The smartstore resides on the flatfile datastore.

• 3.  RE: 8 to 9.1 migration. Convert flat files to Postgres?

Posted Oct 10, 2012 01:13 PM
    Oh?

I was under the impression that SmartStore is not being used anymore....
    Interesting. Are there reasons for using 2 separate data stores for the same applications?

Well, since Postgres is out of the question how, is there any documentation of SmartStore files?
    I'd like to figure out a way to extract data from them...

• 4.  RE: 8 to 9.1 migration. Convert flat files to Postgres?

Posted Oct 12, 2012 05:10 AM
    There is a JDBC Adapter (in the Community Documents, I guess) and you could extract data with the Command Line Workstation (CLW)

• 5.  RE: 8 to 9.1 migration. Convert flat files to Postgres?

Posted Oct 15, 2012 05:53 PM
    Thanks jankei

It does not look like I can execute it from a command line. Is it only intended to be used as a class of a Java application?

• 6.  RE: 8 to 9.1 migration. Convert flat files to Postgres?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 15, 2012 09:45 PM
    If you're looking to do data extraction for analysis, I'd recommend you download the Easy Integration Kit.
    You can find it in the Community Documents under Field Extensions.

The beauty of the kit is you can do queries against SmartStor using basic SQL queries instead of the limited CLW format.

-Hiko

• 7.  RE: 8 to 9.1 migration. Convert flat files to Postgres?

Posted Oct 16, 2012 12:54 AM
    Oh wow. Easy Integration Kit seems like exactly what i needed!

I am looking create a "manager" dashboard page, that will show daily / weekly / monthly graphs. This kit will work great for this!

Thank you!

• 8.  RE: 8 to 9.1 migration. Convert flat files to Postgres?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 16, 2012 11:50 AM
    I'm glad that kit will be of use.
    Please mark your question as resolved when you're ready.