Clarity

Expand all | Collapse all

OWB updating Clarity

• 1.  OWB updating Clarity

Posted Oct 17, 2012 11:46 AM
    We've had a few problems lately where a PM would change the Charge Code in OWB but Clarity wouldn't show properly. Clarity Audit shows the Charge Code cleared off not changed to something different. I ran a few jobs that I thought might sync them but it's still blank. We can manually make the change in clarity but I need to find the issue. Anybody know how to sync OWB and Clarity? Do they use different DB tables?

Thanks

Karen

• 2.  RE: OWB updating Clarity

Posted Oct 17, 2012 12:17 PM
    OWB and Clarity "use" exactly the same DB tables ; what you change in OWB will just update the correct bit of Clarity.

I would initially look at your Clarity tables - have you got any non-standard customisations (e.g. database-triggers) in the system for example?

If you want to get into the technical debugging of whether OWB is sending back the right information you can try the debugging as detailed in TEC468125; this will tell you exactly what data is being sent back and forth between Clarity and OWB (but the debug is quite a technical task). :unsure:

• 3.  RE: OWB updating Clarity

Posted Oct 17, 2012 01:12 PM
    No triggers. The only customization is the addition of a few charge codes. We haven't doing anything to the system that wasn't done through the front end so it shouldn't be having any issues. It's also impossible to replicate so I doubt the degug would catch it. It's intermittant at best, at least 2 months between complaints with no known commonality except it was charge code both times. Different managers, different projects...

• 4.  RE: OWB updating Clarity

Posted Oct 17, 2012 01:15 PM
    Not a rights issue?

Martti K.

• 5.  RE: OWB updating Clarity

Posted Oct 17, 2012 01:23 PM
    No, I'm holding off on correcting the info until I can try anything simple to solve it but the last one I had her try it again and it worked. Maybe it's just timing? A job was running or something that wouldn't allow the update?

• 6.  RE: OWB updating Clarity
    Best Answer

Posted Nov 23, 2012 06:08 AM
    Suggest that you use OWB Console (You can get it from CA Support), and send the log generated to CA Support and have them take a look at it (or you yourself as well can have a look at it)

NJ

• 7.  RE: OWB updating Clarity

Posted Dec 03, 2012 01:45 PM
    I can't find the Console with a simple search so I'm just going to hold off until we upgrade to 13.1. We seem to have a lot of problems with v13.0 and CA keeps no-showing on our web meetings so hopefully 13.1 will work.

Thanks

• 8.  RE: OWB updating Clarity

Posted Dec 03, 2012 02:23 PM
    Typically you would get OWB console from support with instructions when you have opened a case.

Martti K.

• 9.  RE: OWB updating Clarity

Posted Dec 03, 2012 02:47 PM
    oooooooooooooh, OK, thanks. If my upgrade doesn't work then I'll open the case and see if anything can be solved that way. Thanks folks

• 10.  RE: OWB updating Clarity

Posted May 13, 2013 08:46 AM
    Found this thread while researching a similar, or maybe the same, issue.

We also have seen many instances where the Audit Trail is showing that users were clearing out Charge Code Values on tasks. We don't have many users maintain the Charge Code field. We default it to "Expense" and then the PMO monitors another field called "Work Type" and changes the value to "Capital" if necessary. Based on this process, Charge Code should never be blank. We are on version 12.1.1

After some testing, I found that if Tasks are created and saved to Clarity in OWB, then in the same OWB session, the task is edited and saved again, the Charge Code gets cleared, even though it was originally set as expected in Clarity on the initial save.

The Steps to recreate are:

1) Default Task Charge Code to = Expense in Studio
    2) Open an existing project in OWB
    3) Add a Task to the project in OWB (OWB Charge Code field shows Expense as expected) (I used insert Key or right click-insert, to put tasks in the middle of the List, at Level 1)
    4) Save the Project back to Clarity, Leave OWB Session open
    5) Review Clarity Task Screen, new task is there and Charge Code=Expense as expected
    6) Edit the task name in OWB (OWB Charge Code field still shows Expense)
    7) Save back to Clarity
    8) Review Clarity Task Screen, task is there, edits to name appear, and Charge Code has been set to blank

If you Close the Project from OWB after step 5, then re-open it to OWB and continue at step 6, the charge code stays set as desired.

My key question is, does this occurr in V13 as well? We are about to upgrade, but haven't started yet, so I don't have a place to try this on V13 yet.

Thanks in Advance,

Tim

• 11.  RE: OWB updating Clarity

Posted May 29, 2013 12:10 PM
    Single test in v13.0

1) Default Task Charge Code to = Expense in Studio
    2) Open an existing project in OWB
    3) Add a Task to the project in OWB (OWB Charge Code field shows Expense as expected)
    (I used insert Key or right click-insert, to put tasks in the middle of the List, at Level 1) -v13.0 just added a task to the end
    - v13.0 No charge code, set Expense as the charge code
    4) Save the Project back to Clarity, Leave OWB Session open
    5) Review Clarity Task Screen, new task is there and Charge Code=Expense as expected
    6) Edit the task name in OWB (OWB Charge Code field still shows Expense)
    7) Save back to Clarity
    8) Review Clarity Task Screen, task is there, edits to name appear, and Charge Code has been set to blank
    v13.0 Charge code still Expense

in v13.0 charge code is on Task properties Settings subpage or add it to the Task list view.

In that test v13.0 behavior was different.

Martti K.

• 12.  RE: OWB updating Clarity

Posted Dec 03, 2012 01:22 PM
    Hi,

Were you able to resolve your issue possibly using suggestions posted here? If so please mark the appropriate posts as Accepted Solution.

Thanks!
    Chris