Tammi

CA NY UG Event 9/21/12- Unconference Session Feedback and Notes

Discussion created by Tammi Champion on Oct 19, 2012
Latest reply on Oct 22, 2012 by Tammi
Hi Everyone,

My name is Tammi Reel Davis and I am the President of the NYC Clarity User Group. We had a great user group event on 9/21/12 and I wanted to share with one of our agenda topics which was called Unconference Sessions. Lets talk about what an unconference is

Typically at an unconference, the agenda is created by the attendees at the beginning of the meeting. Anyone who wants to initiate a discussion on a topic can claim a time and a space. Unconferences typically feature open discussions rather than having a single speaker at the front of the room giving a talk, although any format is permitted. This form of conference is particularly useful when the attendees generally have a high level of expertise or knowledge in the field the conference convenes to discuss.

Initially we were ready with topics to discuss and we engaged the users by having them submit a topic, if they submitted a topic they can throw in an extra business card for the raffling drawing. The day of the event we had the presentations set for the morning which was around Clarity v13 and CA Communities, when it was time to start the unconference sessions we wrote down the topics we received prior and the users voted, then we came up with some new ones based on the earlier presentations. We had two unconference sessions one at 2PM for an hour and then another at 3:15PM. Each session had a facilitator and a note taker.

Here are the sessions we had
Portfolio Management- (Facilitators- James Chan and Yang Lu)
Project and Resource Management (Facilitators- Mary Cauwels and John Fechenbach, Note Taker- Ruth Marrero)
Upgrading from Clarity v12 to Clarity v13- Modifying NSQL, Portlets and Reports( Facilitator- Stephen Slamowitz, Note Taker - Laura Yates)

It was such a huge success and there was no way we could have pulled it off not without the above facilitators and note takers I mentioned above and JJ Lovett. Not only did JJ attend our NYC UG Event but he presented and helped coordinate the unconference session with me and Richard Phelan who is the VP of the NYC UG.

I have attached the notes for those of you who are interested.

Thank you
Tammi

Outcomes