Clarity

• 1.  Q: Planned Cost Finish - different valude displayed in Clarity / Database ?

Posted Oct 29, 2012 01:19 PM
    Hi,

I'm using the Planned Cost Finish attribute in custom built report. The option "Set Planned Cost Dates" is not checked, so I can set the date manually.
    After setting the value in Project -> Budget -> Planned cost finish, when I check the database - table FIN_FINANCIALS.planned_cst_finish, I can see that the value stored in database is different from the one displayed in Clarity.
    For example Planned Cost Finish date displayed in Clarity is 9/27/2012, but the query from database returns 9/28/2012...

SQL used:

SELECT fin.planned_cst_finish
    FROM prproject proj
    JOIN inv_investments inv
    ON inv.ID = proj.prid
    JOIN ODF_OBJECT_INSTANCE_MAPPING MAP
    ON INV .ID = MAP . PRIMARY_OBJECT_INSTANCE_ID
    AND MAP.primary_object_instance_code = 'project'
    AND MAP.secondary_object_instance_code = 'financials'
    JOIN FIN_FINANCIALS FIN
    ON MAP . SECONDARY_OBJECT_INSTANCE_ID = FIN .ID
    where proj.prid = <project id>;

Is there any setting/job which does cause the difference - or how can I get the value as seen in the application into the custom report (read it from the db) ?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts !

• 2.  RE: Q: Planned Cost Finish - different valude displayed in Clarity / Databa
    Best Answer

Posted Oct 29, 2012 03:41 PM
    Either calculated the date to be one less or use
    COP_CALC_FINISH_FCT Function

Martti K.

• 3.  RE: Q: Planned Cost Finish - different valude displayed in Clarity / Databa

Posted Nov 06, 2012 04:41 AM
    Hi Martti,

thanks for your answer - make sense now, and when using the function to handle the finish date I now get results as expected.

Thanks,
    Michal

• 4.  Re: RE: Q: Planned Cost Finish - different valude displayed in Clarity / Databa

Posted Jan 15, 2015 10:23 AM

Hi Martti,

sorry for replying to this older post but my question belongs pretty to this topic.
    I've the same issue like user above, different finish_dates in Clarity and Database. After read some threads I've realized,

I have to use COP_CALC_FINISH_FCT Function as you've recommended. So there is my question/problem:

I have to add this function to portlet which shows data in Clarity.
    (screenshot from different finish dates)

Different_finish_dates.jpg

However this portlet (in our Clarity in Home -> Projects -> Project list) gains data only from 'project' object, it means,

there is no such SQL code behind it.

Portlet_project_list.JPG

I suggest it's some standard Clarity functionality(standard portlet), so there

should be adjusted some .xbl or other file directly in server. Do you think I'm right or do you have some other suggestion for my issue?
    Your help is very appreciated. Thanks

Matej

• 5.  Re: Q: Planned Cost Finish - different valude displayed in Clarity / Database ?

Posted Jan 15, 2015 10:37 AM

Are you sure there is a problem here?

The original question was why the "database date" differed slightly from the "clarity date" - the answer was that we need to apply that function to the "database date" in order to get the "clarity date".

In your example / screen shot, you show that the "database date" is different to the "clarity date", but thats all OK, because the portlet is showing the "clarity date".

i.e. only need to apply the function when we are manipulating the "database date"

• 6.  Re: RE: Q: Planned Cost Finish - different valude displayed in Clarity / Databa

Posted Jan 16, 2015 03:35 AM

Hi Dave,

Thanks for quick reply, I thought that the "right date" is stored in database and in Clarity is different, so that's why I'd like to show date in Clarity which is in DB.

We are also using some Excel sheets for Business needs. Source data of these Excel files is Database so there always appear end dates like it's stored in the DB

and people are wondering why some project's end dates are different there and in Clarity....

I'm wondering why this happened now (I guess from new year 2015), because I've remember issue like that in the past.... May I ask If you have some suggestion,

what could cause that this issue somehow "appear" now? Many thanks for your response!

Matej

• 7.  Re: Q: Planned Cost Finish - different valude displayed in Clarity / Database ?

Posted Jan 16, 2015 03:44 AM

The "right date" is the "clarity date" (and not the database date).

The issue is that Clarity stores the right date in a way that makes it non-obvious if we read it directly from the database through SQL, the solution to that is the function.

The method that you are extracting data for use in your Excel spreadsheets is where you need to use the function then. Presumably if you were using a standard object XOG-read to populate your spreadsheets then the date would be "right" but using (for example) a Query-API read where you have "coded" the SQL would need to use the function, as would any "plain SQL" method that you might be using.

• 8.  Re: RE: Q: Planned Cost Finish - different valude displayed in Clarity / Databa

Posted Jan 16, 2015 04:43 AM

Hi Dave,

OK, so in Clarity is the "right date".

In these Excel sheets Database source is another DB as Clarity use. There are used some job which loads all Clarity

data from Oracle(Clarity) DB to MS SQL DB(used for Excel reporting). The problem I've maybe not mentioned before is, tha this job has created by a 3rd party company

and we didn't modified it.

As I said, before, in year 2014 the dates were the same. Also I've never noticed that dates are different in Clarity and in DB when querying. It start as of now, from year 2015...

Matej

• 9.  Re: Q: Planned Cost Finish - different valude displayed in Clarity / Database ?

Posted Jan 16, 2015 04:50 AM

Ok well I can't explain at all why you think that the dates were OK / consistent  in the past and that they are not now - all I am saying is that that 3rd Party extract is where you would need to apply the function (which I suspect doesn't help you at all).

• 10.  Re: RE: Q: Planned Cost Finish - different valude displayed in Clarity / Databa

Posted Jan 16, 2015 05:03 AM

Hi Dave,

Yes, you are right, thank you a lot for your hints.