Clarity

• 1.  XOG for Creating/Approving WIP Adjustments

Posted Nov 12, 2012 10:08 AM
    I have a situation where years ago, many projects were setup incorrectly with 'chargeable' resource input types and 'standard' Investment Finanical (Invoice) Type. Even though these projects were inactive, turning on the Generate Invoice job, recently (so that we can a begin using the Chargeback capability, now, going forward), has resulted in about 80,000 erroneous errors in the "Messages" log, where they are listed with the root cause of 'no chargeback type defined.'

I want to update all of these transactions to Chargeable = No.

Obviously, one can create WIP adjustments via the UI - but there is not 'select/edit all' capability, so the time to do this manually is prohibitive.

What alternative methods exist? Does an xml file exist that would allow creation/approval of WIP adjustments via XOG? If not, would one suggest updating the transactions directly via SQL update script?

Thanks,

Dale

• 2.  RE: XOG for Creating/Approving WIP Adjustments

Posted Nov 12, 2012 10:59 AM
    HI Dale,
    i woudl recommend that you first reverse the transactions via XOG (by multiplying the quantity by -1), this will remove the transactions from your projects.
    then bring the correct transactions back in.

Let me know if you need some examples on how to do this, i have done this a few times.
    cheers,
    federico

• 3.  RE: XOG for Creating/Approving WIP Adjustments

Posted Nov 12, 2012 01:28 PM
    Federico,

Examples would be great.

Just to be clear - I need to edit transactions - they are correct and should be charged to their current projects. I just need to uncheck the 'chargeable' box on them.

So, I'm not quite following the logic of "removing them......then bring in the correct transactions back in." Did you mean "reverse them, correct them, then bring them back in?" If so, how is this different than using WIP Adjustment? Perhaps it is a different way to accomplish the same thing?

Also, do I:

- xog the transactions out
    - multiply quantity by one (I don't see what this changes)
    - can I 'uncheck chargeable' in the same step?
    - then xog back in
    - then post the transactions using Post to WIP?

Dale

• 4.  RE: XOG for Creating/Approving WIP Adjustments

Posted Nov 26, 2012 11:48 AM
    Federico,

From another thread with Connie Fu, I've picked up a bit more understanding.

Reversed transactions are final - though they are still in Clarity, they are not accessible/useful anymore, except for if one wants a report written on what transactions have been reversed. Therefore, I know understand the 'bring them back in' comment. And, when bringing them back in, I can make them 'not chargeable.'

However, many of the transactions are from timesheets. I don't think there is away to bring reversed transactions back in, except by possibly adjusting and posting the timesheets. Also, the imported transactions cover a spread of years - therefore I may not be able to get the original source data, as much of it came from multiple systems, downloaded to Excel and then xogged into Clarity. Even if possible to find, the work effort to do so is insurmountable.

Therefore, I really need a means to adjust what is there.

Wondering, if one could XOG out WIP tranactions, modified them and xogged them back, would they then appears as adjusted transactions needing approval? Or, can I just run an update script on PPA_WIP, changing Chargeable from 1 to 0? From what I can find (which may be not enough), it appears that PPA_WIP is the end of the line for transaction data, as long as I'm not creating invoices or chargebacks, which I'm not, yet. So, if I update Chargeable from 1 to 0 via script, I should be safe.

This is not a SOX issue for us as our Clarity finanical data is not used for anything outside of Clarity - its only used for project costing within the project management environment - not used for any of our financial book processes (not used in company p&l, taxes, investor report etc.).

Dale

• 5.  RE: XOG for Creating/Approving WIP Adjustments

Posted Nov 27, 2012 01:06 AM
    "Wondering, if one could XOG out WIP tranactions, modified them and xogged them back, would they then appears as adjusted transactions needing approval? " - Not as timesheet adjustments.
    Alternatively, if they are already billed, one of the ways to get the transaction back to the Create WIP Adjustment screen would be to make the "AMOUNTREMAINING" column in the ppa_wip_values > 0. However, this is unsupported :tongue

NJ

• 6.  RE: XOG for Creating/Approving WIP Adjustments
    Best Answer

Posted Nov 27, 2012 09:49 AM
    Dale,

You might want to look into the 2 OOTB stored procedures:

1. REV_PRC_ADJWIPMODXFERXACTION. This is the SP which adjusts the transactions. Pass the transaction id (which needs to be adjusted) to iTransaction parameter. the Output parameter iAdjustNumber holds the id of the adjusted transaction.
    2. SP_ADJWIPAPPROVELINEITEM: use this to approve the adjustments. pass the value of iAdjustNumber to the input parameter ADJUSTGROUPNO.

You will need to test the solution thoroughly before you apply it to your PROD system. I have used the above 2 SPs for a few automation in the environments which works like a charm till now. We are in v12, and I haven't got the chance to test this in a v13 system yet.

Regards
    Sankhadeep

• 7.  RE: XOG for Creating/Approving WIP Adjustments

Posted Nov 27, 2012 01:07 PM
    Sankhadeep,

This looks very promising. Appears that one can use these two procedures to adjust anything on a tranaction - which is great, as we have a couple issues to resolve - converting historic transactions to non-chargeable, and correcting some transactions with the wrong resource 'home' department identified.

Will capture your idea and get it fed into our internal change process - may take several weeks to respond with results, due to resoure constraints and development/change freeze associated with our v13 PRD launch.

Thanks much!

Dale

• 8.  Re: XOG for Creating/Approving WIP Adjustments

Posted Aug 20, 2015 05:23 AM

Sankhadeep,

I'm interested to see how you applied this solution since I'll need to do something similar at a client. Could you send me a copy of the process you used for this? Thanks in advance

Anthony

• 9.  Re: XOG for Creating/Approving WIP Adjustments

Posted Mar 10, 2016 10:00 AM

My client delayed implementation for a couple years due to other priorities at the time.  Today, we are revisiting this topic - good chance that we will get our three main engineering groups using CA PPM for demand/capacity management, cost planning/budgeting and financial transactions.

IFF we go forward this time, will need to look at adjusting labor transactions in order to update their actual cost, perhaps as much as monthly.