DX Application Performance Management

• 1.  Web Services and transaction tracing

Posted Nov 27, 2012 03:41 PM
    I'm new to Introscope and have a question about the way Web Services are being reported.

An HTTP request ultimately invokes 3 web services – WS1, WS2, and WS3. We want to use WILY transaction trace to identify how long it takes to run each web service. After running WILY transaction trace, instead of seeing the individual traces for WS1,2,3, WILY will report one web service has been called 3 times for the traced request. And the web service name picked by WILY is random, and can be different after each server restart.

I "inherited" the current set up so I don't know if the product is configured wrong of if this is a bug. Any insight would be appreciated!

Thanks!

-Scott

• 2.  RE: Web Services and transaction tracing

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 28, 2012 02:47 PM
    I've never heard or seen an APM agent randomly generating names for web services. I'm hoping someone else will also comment on this.

Can you attach a screenshot (without any identifying items) that you can share with us?

-Hiko

• 3.  RE: Web Services and transaction tracing

Posted Nov 29, 2012 10:06 AM
    Thanks for the reply Hiko, I am working on getting some more clarity regarding this and some screen shots as well.

• 4.  RE: Web Services and transaction tracing

Posted Dec 07, 2012 01:53 PM
      |   view attached
    Here is a good example of what we are seeing. The call "order.jsp" is one that we know hits many different Web Services, but the transaction trace only shows 2. They are actually the same one - and not involved in this transaction.

• 5.  RE: Web Services and transaction tracing

Posted Dec 10, 2012 01:08 PM
    Scott,

I agree with Hiko said in the agent showing W1, 2, & 3. But I would also suggest that you use CEM (TESS) to record a transaction from start to finish which can also give you an indication on how exactly your transaction traces and which services it calls.

• 6.  RE: Web Services and transaction tracing

Posted Dec 11, 2012 09:04 AM
    I agree with Hiko said in the agent showing W1, 2, & 3.
    I'm sorry I didn't quite follow what you meant here.

As far as CEM - we are licensed for Introscope via SAP and do not have the rights to use CEM (or at least we don't have all the pieces for CEM because SAP does not provide them). I do also have a "note" opened with SAP regrading this but I have not any successful suggestions yet from them.

• 7.  RE: Web Services and transaction tracing

Posted Dec 11, 2012 10:55 AM
    Scott

what I meant when I said "I agree with Hiko..." is that I've also never heard or seen an APM agent randomly generating names for web services.

• 8.  RE: Web Services and transaction tracing

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 11, 2012 12:36 PM
    Hi Scott,
    What I see in the capture is that the web service UserAccountService was called twice and the method AuthenticateUser was called twice.

Can you confirm with your development team that this is true when calling order.jsp?

-Hiko

• 9.  RE: Web Services and transaction tracing

Posted Jan 14, 2013 12:17 PM
    Could this be the reason for what we are experiencing?

6.23 JBoss WS Services Server-Side not being Traced in 5.1 or 5.0 - 73942
    When monitoring Web services in JBoss 5.0.0 and 5.1.0, client-side metrics appear but server-side metrics do not.

A fix to this issue is in progress and will be available in a future release.

This is a JBoss 5.1 App Server.

• 10.  RE: Web Services and transaction tracing
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 15, 2013 12:36 PM
    You may want to reach out to the product team and ask them.

You can find them on the product announcement thread.

-Hiko