Symantec IGA

Expand all | Collapse all

Run this on your IdM Report Server if you Can't view reports.

• 1.  Run this on your IdM Report Server if you Can't view reports.

Posted Dec 07, 2012 01:00 PM

For a very brief summary of the problem / solution, please watch this 3 min video[color]. [size]

If you'd just like to solve your problem without understanding it, simply download this zip file, copy the contents to your report server desktop and run Simplify.vbs out cmd prompt launched as administrator.[color]. [size]

The fact that the IdM tools directory publishes the 32 bit version of the registry manipulation ONLY, which is required for the report server regardless of the platform chosen, generates a plethora of support issues that could easily be avoided.

A VB scripted solution has been published onto MyCA communities forum in order to try to mitigate incoming volume on this topic until a more permanent solution is deployed. (possibly simply deploying the attached script into the ReportServerTools directory of IM, which would replace the existing registry scripts that don’t work on 64bit platform)

If you're getting an invalid database connection error when trying to view reports, I suggest you run the attached WSH script (as local Administrator on the Report Server) to correct your problem.

'Christopher Ryan Thomas; Unify and Simplify registry deployment for IdM report server. Set WshShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell") OsType = WshShell.RegRead("HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment\PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE") If OsType = "x86" then wscript.echo "Windows 32bit system detected... Applying 32bit reg key value pair" WSHShell.RegWrite "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Business Objects\Suite 12.0\Crystal Reports\DatabaseOptions\MergeConnectionProperties", "Yes" elseif OsType = "AMD64" then wscript.echo "Windows 64bit system detected... Applying 64bit reg key value pair" WSHShell.RegWrite "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Business Objects\Suite 12.0\Crystal Reports\DatabaseOptions\MergeConnectionProperties", "Yes" end if 

Documentation is also incorrect!

@HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Business Objects\Suite 12.0\Crystal Reports

The above line should also include DatabaseOptions after Crystal Reports. Putting the MergeConnectionsProperties in the wrong location will result in the failure to view reports because it's unable to communicate with the database.

[color=#f30808][font=Comic Sans]If you're getting an invalid database connection error when trying to view reports, I suggest you run the attached WSH script (as local Administrator on the Report Server) to correct your problem.[size=11][color][size][font]

Please post with any questions or concerns.
    Thank you.
    Regards,

Chris Thomas
    CA Technologies
    Principal Support Engineer
    IdentityMinder Reporting Expert
    Tel: +1-631-342-4360
    Chris.Thomas@ca.com

• 2.  RE: Run this on your IdM Report Server if you Can't view reports.

Posted Mar 13, 2013 05:32 AM
    Hi ,

Have configured reports (BO 3.3 ) in IM R12.5 SP15. After requesting the reports, in View my reports , the status is " Failed to open the connection.~tmp7eaa76ff381d990.rpt" .
    Unable to view the reports because of this.

Report server version . 12.5_1265
    O.S : RHEL 6.2 64 bit

we have tried all the posible configuration and checkings, unable to resolve this issue.

Any idea what could be the reason for this issue?

Thanks,
    Vidhya.

• 3.  RE: Run this on your IdM Report Server if you Can't view reports.

Posted Mar 28, 2013 12:06 PM
      |   view attached
    I just had the same problem, and this solved it for me.

Attachment(s)

pdf
    Reg.pdf   51 KB 1 version

• 4.  RE: Run this on your IdM Report Server if you Can't view reports.

Posted Mar 29, 2013 05:03 PM
      |   view attached
    [color=#1909f4]I've updated the script a bit for windows deployments...
    - it will update the registry
    - deploy the jar files
    - restart the SIA
    [color]

99% of the time this is what causes this issue.
    'Christopher Ryan Thomas
    'https://communities.ca.com/web/chris_thomas/myca
    'Unify and Simplify registry deployment for IdM report server. 

dim WshShell, installDir
    Set WshShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
    OsType = WshShell.RegRead("HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment\PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE")
    If OsType = "x86" then 

wscript.echo "Windows 32bit system detected... Applying 32bit reg key value pair"

WSHShell.RegWrite "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Business Objects\Suite 12.0\Crystal Reports\DatabaseOptions\MergeConnectionProperties", "Yes"

installDir = WshShell.RegRead("HKLM\SOFTWARE\Business Objects\Suite 12.0\Shared\SuiteInstallDir")
    elseif OsType = "AMD64" then

wscript.echo "Windows 64bit system detected... Applying 64bit reg key value pair"

WSHShell.RegWrite "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Business Objects\Suite 12.0\Crystal Reports\DatabaseOptions\MergeConnectionProperties", "Yes"

installDir = WshShell.RegRead("HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Business Objects\Suite 12.0\Shared\SuiteInstallDir")
    end if 

dim fso, libs
    Set fso = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
    libs = installDir & "common\4.0\java\lib\"
    fso.CopyFile ".\*.jar", libs,TRUE

Const ForReading=1
    Const ForWriting=2
    dim folder, filePath, myFile, myTemp, myLen, myString, newSize
    folder = installDir & "\common\4.0\java\"
    filePath = folder & "CRConfig.xml"
    Set myFile = fso.OpenTextFile(filePath, ForReading, True)
    Set myTemp= fso.OpenTextFile(filePath & ".tmp", ForWriting, True)
    Do While Not myFile.AtEndofStream
     myLine = myFile.ReadLine
     If InStr(myLine, "<Classpath>") Then

myLen = Len(myLine)

newSize = myLen - 15

myString = Right(myLine, newSize)

myLine = "<Classpath>" & libs & "sqljdbc.jar;" & libs & "ojdbc14.jar;" & myString
     End If

myTemp.WriteLine myLine
    Loop
    myFile.Close
    myTemp.Close
    fso.DeleteFile(filePath)
    fso.MoveFile filePath&".tmp", filePath

strComputerName = wshShell.ExpandEnvironmentStrings( "%COMPUTERNAME%" )
    Dim strService
    ' Values set
    strService = " BOE120SIA" & strComputerName

'Option Explicit
    Dim intShortSleep, intLongSleep

' Values set
    strService = " BOE120SIA" & strComputerName
    intShortSleep = 2000
    intLongSleep = 9900

' Cmd prompt opened 
    WshShell.Run "cmd" 
    Wscript.Sleep intShortSleep

' Service stopped with 'Net' command
    WshShell.SendKeys "net stop" & strService 
    WshShell.SendKeys "{Enter}"
    Wscript.Sleep intLongSleep

' Service started with 'Net' command
    WshShell.SendKeys "net start" & strService 
    Wscript.Sleep intLongSleep

' Cmd prompt exited
    WshShell.SendKeys "Exit"

Wscript.Echo strService & " service restarted "
    WScript.Quit

Attachment(s)

zip
    Simplify IT.zip   1.94 MB 1 version

• 5.  RE: Run this on your IdM Report Server if you Can't view reports.

Posted Apr 01, 2013 02:14 AM
    Thank you Chris for your reply.

we have 2 BO servers on different Linux machine, one worked and another did nto work so i happened to submit the post.

one of my team member worked on this and found that BO server unable to contact IM's db MSSQL server, we had to add the SQL machine hostname in hosts file and rerun the registry.
    View reports worked after this.

Thanks,
    vidhya.

• 6.  RE: Run this on your IdM Report Server if you Can't view reports.

Posted Apr 24, 2013 01:35 PM
    It's worth noting that the error has manifested itself again with later versions of Identity Manager and possibly IdentityMinder.
    Version 12.5 SP14 has released an updated sqljdbc.jar file, which if copied over to the report server lib directory will result in the same "failed to open the connection" problem. I've since reverted the jar file packaged within the Simplify IT.zip file to include the previous version of the JAR.

[list]
    [*] sqljdbc.jar, size 584207 bytes, (driver from SP14 install - doesn't work)
    [*] sqljdbc.jar, size 583286 bytes, (previous driver, works fine)
    [list]

[size=7]***[color=#fc0d0d]In SP14, the sqljdbc.jar was upgraded from from 1.2 to 4.0. and 4.0 version of the JAR currently does not work with IdM Reporting, but I'm in the process of raising that with sustaining engineering.[color][size]

• 7.  RE: Run this on your IdM Report Server if you Can't view reports.

Posted Apr 25, 2013 03:16 AM
    Chris, thank you for your update in regards to SP14!

I managed to fix this way my problem, and also notified the other guys:

I have been pulling my hair out why it is not working as on the test env (SP13) it worked but when trying to go live with SP14 it wasn't. Didn't cross my mind it is the sqljdbc.jar file.
    Also notified TechPubs about errors in the documentation and they suggested it is not related to them and we should contact support...

• 8.  RE: Run this on your IdM Report Server if you Can't view reports.

Posted May 02, 2013 04:23 AM
    Thank you very much Crhis! This took about 3 days of my life...

• 9.  RE: Run this on your IdM Report Server if you Can't view reports.

Posted May 24, 2013 11:57 AM
    Just an FYI, I'm noticing that customers are applying the wrong BIAR file, which also results in this error. I'm planning on extending the script to also complete the biar import process, but it will need to be a bit more dynamic.

For now, please consider the following; the biar file is based on the selection you made for the audit and snapshot databases NOT the selection you made for the CMS database. Please see this diagram for a simplified representation of the database architecture. I.E. if you decided to use MSSQL for your IdM object store, audit and snapshot repository and decided to use MySQL for you report server CMS database, you would select the Microsoft SQL version of the BIAR, NOT the MySQL version. (/CA/IdentityManager/IAM_Suite/IdentityManager/tools/imrexport/ReportDefinitions/IM Standard Reports/Ms-SQL_Reports/ms-sql_reports.biar)

• 10.  RE: Run this on your IdM Report Server if you Can't view reports.

Posted Jul 25, 2013 05:38 PM
    Please note all of the above is IdentityMinder specific, but am noticing that this problem affects other CA products, which interface with the report server as well.

In case you're still having issues you may want to implement tracing on the job server to try to isolate what might be causing the issue.

The job server processes the report requests, but it then spawns off a JobServerChild process to do the actual request - and it is this where I am guessing the connection is failing.

There are two ways to get logging on BO, either via _trace.ini files or via the CMC (Central Management Console).

a) If via CMC then
    Add the following to properties of Servers/"Crystal Report Job Server"
    -type OUTPROC -trace xs -reqtrace on -sdktrace on -crpetrace 7

b) If via trace.ini files taking template from \SC\CommonReporting3\BusinessObjects Enterprise 12.0\logging\logConfig\BOtrace.ini

create JobServerClient_trace.ini
    Give setting something similar to :

active = true;
    importance = xs;
    alert = true;
    severity = ' ';
    keep = false;
    size = 100 * 1000;

Then place JobServerChild_trace.ini in directory :
    \SC\CommonReporting3\BusinessObjects Enterprise 12.0\win32_x86

Restart the JobServer service.

For a comprehensive guide on BusinessObjects 3.1 debug and tracing, please see this document.

• 11.  Re: Run this on your IdM Report Server if you Can't view reports.

Posted Oct 22, 2014 03:17 PM

If you receive registry key not found, please make sure you're running the simplify.vbs from a cmd shell, which was "Run As Administrator"

• 12.  Re: Run this on your IdM Report Server if you Can't view reports.

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 24, 2016 10:05 AM

This is really a helpful tip, I had similar issue on the Linux server fixed it for me. Below are the steps for Linux servers:

Integrated Documents