How to Migrate without Changing IP Addresses
If you're not changing IP addresses, the process is fairly simple. This can be done one at a time or all at once. This process works for a standalone or distributed NV.
- Install the same version of NV on the new servers.
- Stop all services on all servers.
- Copy the nms2 directory from the old servers to the corresponding new servers (usually in D:\netqos\mysql51\data)
- Move the IP addresses from the old servers to the corresponding new servers
- Start the services on the new servers
- Sell the old servers on eBay.
How to migrate to a new server(s) with different IP address(es) and/or FQDN(s)
For a distributed NV, first migrate the master console, then migrate each poller. This should be done in stages to ensure things recover. Spread it over a few days, one server each day. For a standalone, skip the master migration (a standalone and a poller are equivalent).
To migrate the master:
- Stop all services on the old master and the new master
- Move the nms2 folder out of the mysql data directory on the new server (like into D:\backup\)
- Copy the nms2 database folder from the old master to the new master
- Start the 'NetQoS MySQL' service on the new master
- Update the service_managers table to reflect the new master IP/FQDN
- I like doing this with HeidiSQL because it makes it as easy as editing cells in Excel.
- The smgr_host field should contain the FQDN and the smgr_addr can contain the FQDN or IP address (I prefer FQDN)
- If you must do this manually, run the following from command line on the new master:
mysql -P 3308 -D nms2 -e "update service_managers set smgr_host='[FQDN]', smgr_addr='[FQDN/IP]' where smgr_id=1;"
- Execute the following from command line on the new master
- Start the remaining NetQoS NetVoyant services on the new master.
To migrate a poller:
- Stop all the services on the old poller and the new poller
- Move the nms2 folder out of the mysql data directory on the new poller (like to the backup directory)
- Start copy the nms2 database from the old poller to the new poller
- While step 3 is finishing
- Stop NV-services on the master (not NetQoS MySQL)
- Update the smgr_host and smgr_addr on the master on its nms2.service_managers table (for the one specific smgr_id that identifies the poller currently being migrated)
- Run iorgen on the master
- Start NV-services on the master
- After copy from step 3 completes, start mysql service on the poller
- Update the smgr_host and smgr_addr on poller's nms2.service_managers table
- Run iorgen on poller
- Start poller's NV services