AnsweredAssumed Answered

Best Practices for dealing with resource scheduling changes

Question asked by Rob-FCB on Nov 30, 2010
Latest reply on Nov 5, 2016 by lmatzerath
We are in the process of overhauling how our projects are staffed and resources are allocated in Clarity. Today, project managers have full control to book any named resource without conset of a resource/booking manager. Furthermore, how and when PM's staff resources to tasks is not consistent and the senior management is having a hard time being able to fully understand current utilization and future demand.

I have put together several recommendations that the group is deliberating on.

Namely my suggestions include:

1. Only allowing PM's to book generic roles to the project and staff the roles to tasks with ETCs.
2. PM should Allocate From Estimates once the schedule with roles is ready to be staffed.
3. Resource managers should replace role with named resource.

The issue many people have is how to deal with situations where a project gets delayed and how resources on that project get impacted on other projects they are assigned to. Specifically, they want to be able to see rather easily how changing a schedule on Project X will affect the schedule on Project Y,Z,...etc if those projects share resources.

So, basically I am just looking for some best practices from other organizations on how they have managed those expecations.

The biggest problem we face is that there are many exceptions and projects that "have to get done" outside of the normal governance process which then causes issues with resources that were previously approved based on demand review meetings.

Outcomes