AnsweredAssumed Answered

Help with understanding hierarchy and roll-ups

Question asked by beekerc2 on Dec 29, 2009
Latest reply on Dec 30, 2009 by Paul_Kitko
I need some assistance in trying to figure out how actuals roll-up in various hierarchies.
I created several projects, programs and portfolios.
each project has a single transaction posted against single task with exactly 1.00 actuals.

In Portfolio A, I went into the Contents tab and added, via Individual Investments, two projects.   Under the Scorecard tab, I see the two projects, each with an Actual Cost of 1.00 and an aggregation of 2.00.   As expected

In Portfolio B, I went into the Contents tab and added, via Include and Filter Investments, three projects.   Under the Scorecard tab, I see the three projects, each with an Actual Cost of 1.00 and an aggregation of 3.00.   As expected

In Portfolio C, I added Portfolio A and Portfolio B as Child Portfolios.   In the Child Portfolios list view (or portlet), I don't see a column for Actual Cost, nor did I see it in the Available Columns list when I went to the Configure action.   Under the Scorecard tab I saw nothing.

Questions:
- Is this expected behavior?  
- Are investments added throught the Contents tab the only ones that get their Actuals (and other financial figures) tallied and rolled-up into the Portfolio level calculations?
- What is the function/purpose of a Child Portfolio?   Is it strictly organizational or is it financial/mathematical as well?

I created an empty project to use as a Master Project.   In it I added two subprojects.   In the Subprojects Filter, both show up, showing 1 Actual, for a total of 2 Actuals.   I then went to Portfolio D and added this Master Project to it under Contents / Individual Investments.   When I went to the Scorecard tab, I saw my Master Project, but the Actual Cost column was blank.  

Questions:
- Is this expected behavior?  
- Are the Actuals from the subproject being tallied and accounted for at the Portfolio level even though they aren't showing up on the Scorecard?   or does it only tally Actuals that are posted against tasks in the Master Project itself?
- When rolling up from subproject to master project, project (sub and master) to program, from project to portfolio, what are the rules with regard to what gets rolled-up and what doesn't?  

This stuff was really never covered in Technical Bootcamp.
Thanks
BeekerC

Outcomes