AnsweredAssumed Answered

CA Clarity PPM :: Project: Test for CA - Financial Plans - Cost Plans

Question asked by Dale_Stockman Champion on Jul 8, 2014
Latest reply on Jul 29, 2015 by Dale_Stockman

Have learned that when creating a cost plan from a resource plan, that Clarity utilizes the Actual Cost from the Rate Matrix, not the Standard Cost.  Clarity support has told us that Standard Cost is 'legacy,' not used for anything.

We still utilize Standard Cost in our project cost planning and Actual Cost for calculating actuals.  Is anyone else still planning costs in the manner?

Personally, I can see where Standard Cost is useless - if my actual labor costs change significantly during the year, why would I continue to plan new projects with a standard rate that isn't close to the actual rate?

If your company is still using Standard Cost - why?  Is there justification for dropping Standard Cost in this day and age?  Looking at the reasons for using Standard Cost and the potential negatives (http://www.accountingtools.com/standard-costing), I could see why companies may be dropping it.  If your company isn't dropping it and you are trying to use Clarity to produce cost plans, what are you doing to work around the fact that Clarity doesn't use Standard Cost for anything?

Thanks,

Dale

Shared with Jive Anywhere

Outcomes