APM Top 20 Accessed KB Articles for December 2015
1. A Guide to Solving Common Stats and Defects Aggregation Problems TEC610521
This tech note is an expansion of Stats Aggregation Issue after Upgrading from 9.0.x to 220.127.116.11, by Michal Lehotsky. The original document discusses ways to detect if statistical aggregation is not working and how to correct it.
2. Dot Net agent - webservices application won't start - Common Language Runtime detected an invalid program TEC596466
After SPM is enabled for a DotNet Webservices application, the application doesn't start and logs an error, indicating the CLR detected an invalid program.
Also, in the Windows Application event log, you may see an error event, with the source WcfServiceHost, and the following description:
Service cannot be started. System.InvalidProgramException: Common Language Runtime detected an invalid program.
at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.DispatchRuntime..ctor(EndpointDispatcher endpointDispatcher)
at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.EndpointDispatcher..ctor(EndpointAddress address, String contractName, String contractNamespace)
3. IBM WebSphere PMI Time metrics stop reporting in APM Investigator TEC593691
Over time, IBM Websphere PMI Time Metrics may stop reporting. The problem affects all of the Time metrics under PMI. The particular ones effected are:
-connectionPoolModule --> JDBCtime, UseTime, WaitTime
-j2cModule ---> UseTime, WaitTime
-threadPoolModule ---> ActiveTime
-servletsessionsModule --> LifeTime
All other enabled PMI metrics are reporting as expected. The metrics will come back as soon as you restart the JVM. However, the metrics do not begin reporting data when activity is put through the server including database activity which would trigger the connection pool module.
4. How to set up JBoss 6 EAP with the Introscope Agent and see JMX metrics TEC606597
This article discusses how to set up the Introscope Agent with JBoss 6 EAP and see JMX metrics. Please note that instructions for JBoss 7 AS differ and are addressed in a separate Technical Document.
5. Technical Advisory: Workstation Web Start Client Fails to Start with Java 7 Update 45 (Java 1.7.0_45), Java 6 Update 65 (Java 1.6.0_65), and Java 5 Update 55 (Java 1.5.0_55) TEC603806
CA Technologies has identified a potential issue with the CA APM/Introscope Workstation Web Start client with Java 7 Update 45 (Java 1.7.0_45), Java 6 Update 65 (Java 1.6.0_65) and Java 5 Update 55 (Java 1.5.0_55). This technical advisory describes the affected versions and platforms in more detail, and explains the workarounds or remediation actions that are recommended to prevent this issue from impacting your usage of CA APM.
6. The Introscope Workstation Investigator mistakenly shows live data for GMT -4.30 hours and the Introscope Enterprise Manager logs shows incorrect time zone of VET. TEC584843
Some customers running the Introscope Enterprise Manager under a Windows OS have reported a time zone problem where the Introscope Workstation Investigator mistakenly shows data for GMT -4.30 hours and the Introscope Enterprise Manager logs show an incorrect time zone of VET. At the same time the Windows OS is showing the correct local time zone.
7. A simple explanation for "Transaction trace component limit" TEC597762
In an em.log or similar APM log, what does this mean, in simple terms?
Transaction trace component limit of 5000 reached, recording of any new components will cease for this transaction.
8. APM database installation error: creation failed: ERROR: new encoding (UTF8) is incompatible with the encoding of the template database (SQL_ASCII)
When running a fresh installation of 9.6 APM database (Postgres), the following error appears:
Additional Notes: ERROR - createdb: database
creation failed: ERROR: new encoding (UTF8) is incompatible with the encoding of the template database (SQL_ASCII)
HINT: Use the same encoding as in the template database, or use template0 as template.
(STDOUT: Creating user admin
Creating database cemdb with the admin user as the owner.
9. APM Cluster Performance Health Check TEC604648
The Perflog can reveal much about the health of the Collectors in a cluster. This article discusses the most easily diagnosed issues. For a complete analysis, CA Services should be engaged for a comprehensive health check.
10. Explaining and Addressing an Agent Reaching Transaction Trace Component Limit TEC597757
This article will discuss the causes and how to address "[WARN] [IntroscopeAgent.WilyTransactionStructure]Transaction trace component limit of 5000 reached, recording of any new components will cease for this transaction."
11. Seven Mysteries of TIM Communications TEC618283
This is based on the late Andrew Fluegelman's talk, the Seven Mysteries of Telecommunications. This article takes those original mysteries and retrofits them for TIM Communication. Going through these questions will help in debugging problems. This applies to MTP and TIM.
12. .NET perfmon, high CPU utilization, and the perfmoncollectoragent TEC604893
Are you seeing high CPU usage on a .NET agent?
Are you using the perfmoncollectoragent?
To verify that perfmon is causing high CPU utilization, disable perfmon. Knowledge Document:
explains how to diagnose perfmon as the root cause.
13. Could not start service 'TIM.Collection.Svc' on entity 25: the service did not stop. Unable to set or change the EM associated with a Service on the Services Tab. The Save button is greyed out. TEC604366
Services including the Tim Collection Service, Stats Aggregation Service, or the DB Cleanup Service will not start. Looking at the appropriate EM log does not show the service running at all. For example, log entries for DailyAggregation will be missing if the Stats Aggregation Service is locked and cannot be started.
You are unable to set or change the EM associated with a Service. This is normally done by selecting and saving a new EM from the Services Tab in the MOM's APM CE User Interface.
However, when accessing the Setup > Services menu and clicking on a Service link (i.e. Stats Aggregation Service), the Save button is greyed out. This should never be the case.
This article explains how to resolve the issue underlying both of these problems.
14. Installation steps for a APM 9.6 TIM running on the MTP Appliance (CA ADA Multi-Port Monitor). TEC616111
Although the new 9.6 TIM installer ships now as an RPM package, the 9.6 TIM running on the MTP Appliance still needs to installed using the MTP Web interface.
15. Smartstortools Help TEC609741
Best practices and examples for Smartstortools usage
16. SNMP Alert Object Id’s (oids) TEC596474
This article will provide the Object ids for each id used in APM 9.1.x
17. 9.1.7 Downloaded File Names TEC596212
18. Why do I see "Unknown SQL" appearing in the Investigator? TEC616386
This article discusses some potential causes and fixes when metrics or trace components report as "Unknown SQL" in the Investigator.
19. Using Web Start Workstation with Java 7 u51 (Java7u51, Java 1.7.0_51-b13) TEC606706
A Technical Advisory has been issued to address problems starting the APM Web Start Workstation. The Advisory allows users to run the Web Start workstation with Java 7 u45, but does not work with Java 7 u51. This article updates the Advisory to allow users to run the Web Start workstation with the enhanced security present in Java 7 u51 and above by taking the additional step of reducing the Security Level from High to Medium.
20. .NET Agent OOM, High CPU - Checklist TEC596327