ray.wood

Anyone have experience working with Mirrored SQL Server database?

Discussion created by ray.wood on Jun 24, 2011
Latest reply on Jul 15, 2011 by rowan.collis

I have a prospect who is [primarily interested in Unified Reporter with UMP but who also has monitoring requirements. They already have an extensive SQL Server setup and would like to use this as both a datasource for UR and a repository for QOS/data_engine and UMP. So, I would like to know if anyone has any real-life experience of using NMS with a mirrored SQL Server database:

1. UR datasource
I'm pretty sure this will work with no problems as, according to Microsoft, this is supported by the JDBC connection definition and we are read-only as far as reporting is concerned.

2. QOS/data_engine
I think when I asked support about this a long time ago they said this was unsupported. However not sure if that was because it hadn't been tested or it doesn't work with mirrored databases. It may just be that the data_engine doesn't support the necessary connection string in which case this prospect would be happy with a documented process for manually changing the data_engine configuration. However, are there any other issues they should be aware of?

3. UMP
Similar to #2 above. Any known issues with using a mirrored database for UMP related objects e.g. custom dashboards, liferay tables, etc?

Thanks
Ray

Outcomes