AnsweredAssumed Answered

Automated Process to delete "obsolete" objects

Question asked by Laura_Albrechto_270 on Jan 15, 2014
Latest reply on Apr 6, 2017 by Rick_Murray_7767

I am pretty certain that someone (Brian?) has this type of process in place, but I can't find it - might have been posted on the old Yahoo User Forum.

I am looking for an automated process that will help me delete objects that aren't being used any more.

For our Production systems we monitor this / track this pretty closely, but we let the users follow-up and take action on deleting their objects.

However, for our QA system, we generally leave the users to their own devices, but this is starting to cause issues on the system because people are not deleting their old objects.  Sometimes it takes me 5-10 minutes to delete a folder / object.  For example, in one of our clients there are over 312,000+ objects.  I ran a query to identify any objects that were "created" over a year ago and have NEVER been executed - and i got back 186,000+ objects!!!

So clearly, I can't rely on my users to do their own cleanup.

I am looking for an automated process that actually deletes the objects that are found in this condition.  Ideally, there would be some kind of backup or export taken of the objects being deleted just in case we need to get it back, but the key point is - I can't have someone manually deleting 186,000 objects.  :-)

This is only QA so I am not too worried about fallout / problems, but if anyone else does anything like this I'd be curious to know:

• What criteria you use to identify the obsolete objects.
  • If you run into any issues with objects in jobplans being deleted and other types of fallout from objects that reference the now deleted objects.

Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Outcomes