laura_albrecht_automic

Automation Engine Behind F5?

Discussion created by laura_albrecht_automic on Mar 15, 2016
Latest reply on Mar 16, 2016 by laura_albrecht_automic
Hi.  Does anyone have any information on whether or not an Automation Engine with multiple servers can be placed behind an F5?

I was being asked about this today as I requested to have a DNS alias set to point to a specific server.  I don't want to have all my agent / UI INI files pointing to "veryspecificservername:2217" and then have a rename of the server and have to go update hundreds of INI files.

So I requested to have a DNS alias created (let's say automicdns1) which would resolve to my "veryspecificservername".  Now if there's a rename or something - I don't have to update all the INI files - I can just update the DNS entry.

Simple enough.

However, they were asking me if we can put Automic behind an F5 for additional balancing.  For example, let's say that I have 2 servers or automation engines - aeserver1 and aeserver2.  They wanted to know if we could have the DNS alias automicdns1 not point to either of these servers, but to an F5.  Then configure that F5 so that it would round robin between aeserver1 and aeserver2.

Sounds pretty cool - but as I was thinking more about it - I don't think Automic can handle this.  The ucsrv.in file has specific port numbers identified and if you have 2 AE's - you have to have different ports on each AE.  So aeserver1 may use CP ports 2217 and 2218, but aeserver2 would use CP ports 2219 & 2220.

The agent / UI connections point to cp=servername:2217 - So while I can insert in a DNS entry there (cp=automicdns1:2217) - I don't think there's a way to get around that very specific 2217 port number.

I'm pretty sure I know the answer here - it can't be done, but just wondering if anyone else has gone through this same mental exercise.   :)

Thanks!

Outcomes