AnsweredAssumed Answered

LDAPSync & Individual Authorizations

Question asked by laura_albrecht_automic on Sep 28, 2016
Latest reply on Jan 24, 2017 by Peter WIRFS
Hi.  I haven't implemented LDAPSync YET.  But that is our plan in the coming weeks.

Knowing that, I recently got a question about whether each user could have their own "folder" or workspace to do their own development.  They want this folder to be restricted JUST to the specific user.

So let's say I have UserA and UserB.  They may each have a folder under \USERS.

\USERS\USERA
\USERS\USERB

UserA could get into the USERA folder, but not the USERB folder.  And vice versa, UserB could get into the USERB folder, but not the USERA folder.

I'm sure some of you will ask the same question I did - is this level of security really needed? - and that is still being discussed - but I wanted to throw this out there and see if anyone else has done this type of thing specifically if your system is set up for LDAPSync.

It's my understanding that LDAPSync will create new users and then put those users into the appropriate User Groups automatically.  That's great.  Hardly any maintenance / work for me!  

However, with this new requirement I don't really see how I could restrict to a specific folder except on the User object on the Authorizations tab.  I tested this out and it seems to work OK, but I'm just wondering if I get LDAPSync configured if it would wipe out whatever I had on the Authorizations tab.  I don't THINK it would but was not entirely sure how it would work.

The bigger issue is why I'd want to configure LDAPSync and eliminate maintenance and then put myself right back into individually maintaining users, but this is what I was asked to explore.

Thanks for any thoughts / ideas / suggestions in advance.

Laura

Outcomes