Hallett_German

CA Tuesday Tip: CEM Recording System Decision Matrix

Discussion created by Hallett_German Employee on Nov 5, 2011
Latest reply on Nov 7, 2011 by MaryGreening
CA Wily Tuesday Tip by Hallett German, Sr. Support Engineer for 11/8/2011

Note: I switched my November and December topics so you are seeing this a month early! I originally was going to just compare the transaction definitions recording mechanisms (covered in the updated tech note below. I would be interested in hearing more about how you use recording mechanisms especially if there are many new transactions that need monitoring.

A Transaction Definition Creation Mechanism Decision Matrix
There are multiple ways that transaction definitions can be recorded and created. But when to use each of these approaches may not be obvious. This Tuesday Tip tries to do just that by providing various decision points.

1) I have a few (1-30) Transactions to create.

All of the approaches could be used here. Definitions can be created manually or recorded using the Advanced Recorder (TIM or Introscope Agent), AutoDiscovery (referring to both Version 9 Built-in or Fieldpack unless otherwise noted), or Script Recorder. If time is of a concern, then AutoDiscovery or Advanced Recorder, WTG, or Script Recorder may be appropriate.

2) I have many transactions (30+) to create.

For adding many transactions at once, AutoDiscovery is the fastest way to go as opposed to Advanced, Script Recorder, or WTG. However, finding one transaction across many pages of recorded transactions could take far longer with AutoDiscovery. (Version 9 Built-in). The AutoDiscovery Fieldpack does a nice job of organizing the information by placing each recorded application in a separate folder. However, the transactions recorded usually include duplicates and it may take some time to find the correct transaction in a folder. It has been my experience that Script Recorder may have issues with importing large files.

3) I want to capture the entire Business Transaction.

To meet this requirement, there is one and only one real approach -- Advanced recorder. Starting and stopping the transaction marks the start or end of the business transaction. The manual definition can do this but will likely not include all the transaction components needed to capture the true application customer experience. AutoDiscovery and Script Recorder only capture individual URLS (transactions).

4) I want to capture XML Transactions.

The easiest way to do this is with Advanced Recorder, which can import the XML from the recording using the matching rules in the transaction definition. Both AutoDiscoveries can record XML but have not tried to match on them in a transaction definition. WTG can record Web Services and XML and may be another approach to explore.

5) I am doing this with the assistance of developers or application staff

If someone is volunteering to perform the transactions and has the time, then the Advanced Recorder/WTG can ably capture the transaction of the individual recording and nothing more. If they can provide Load Runner output or Network Packet Captures, these can be imported with the Script Recorder. If they are performing a Load Test, then AutoDiscovery can be used to capture all transactions for a specified timeframe.

6) I am doing this without the assistance of developers or application staff.

In this case, AutoDiscovery "shotgun" approach is the best approach to use since it is capturing all unmonitored transactions.

I just updated the following tech note of APM Customer Experience recording mechanisms
https://communities.ca.com/documents/2301951/968b9d32-b198-49fc-9c8e-2d8d5075a86c

Outcomes