ca.portal.admin

Performance Monitor question

Discussion created by ca.portal.admin on Oct 21, 2005
Latest reply on Jun 22, 2007 by ca.portal.admin
I cannot see any way to select by task number for the PMAM batch
reports. You can select by task code or task type, but not task number.
Does anyone know of a way to do this?

Kay Rozeboom
State of Iowa
Information Technology Enterprise
Department of Administrative Services
Telephone: 515.281.6139 Fax: 515.281.6137
Email: Kay.Rozeboom@Iowa.Gov

"
IDMS Public Discussion Forum
IDMS-L@LISTSERV.IUASSN.COM
SMTP
SMTP

Normal

Normal
"IDMS and TCP/IP, CA-Server 5.0 Issues and Notes"
"Hi gang. We've been experimenting with CA-Server 5.0 (JDBC type 4 connectivity) and the new TCP/IP interface. We've now got everything working nicely, but there were 5 issues we ran into which I thought I would pass along and perhaps save some of you some time. Note that these are not all in the same order in which they were encountered.

1.) On the client side, we were getting a ""JAVA.IO.UNSUPPORTEDENCODINGEXCEPTION:CP037"" because the JVM was installed without the ""support for additional languages"" option. Once we reinstalled the JVM with this option, the problem was verified resolved.

2.) The default for Windows TCP/IP connections (internal ports) is about 4000 (starts at port 1024, and runs up to 5000). The problem is that Windows doesn't free a socket for 4 minutes following the close, and it is easy to run out of ports. This results in the error message ""JAVA.NET.BINDEXCEPTION:ADDRESS ALREADY IN USE"" when attempting to connect. Microsoft has 2 tech bulletins regarding this problem. They are:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;196271

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/149532/EN-US/

I believe we chose the option to hack the registry, and the problem was verified resolved.

3.) We were running WebLogic 7.1 with no problems. When we attempting to start using WebLogic 8.1, we ran into a problem where we couldn't connect, and were receiving the error ""JAVA.LANG.CLASSCASTEXCEPTION"". We found that Weblogic 7.1 and 8.1 use proprietary connection pooling using the Driver Manager interface (WebLogic 9.0 uses the J2EE standard now). In WebLogic 7.1 there were no issues found during testing. In WebLogic 8.1, we got the exception. CA reported that they duplicated the problem and that it is a bug in WebLogic 8.1. The problem does not exist using WebLogic 9.0. BEA published a fix CR236961 to address this problem. We applied the patch, and the problem is now verified resolved. I have attached the patch to this e-mail.

4.) The sysgen compiler was doing strange things to my TCP/IP PTERMS. Things like not letting me delete them. CA put out a fix for this problem. It is QO71316. The problem desciption is as follows:
""SYSGEN ""DISPLAY ALL PTERMS"" displays duplicate PTERM entries for TCP/IP PTERMS sysgenned with
the 'PARM is' option on the PTERM statement."" I applied this APAR, and the problem is now verified resolved.

5.) Initially, I had difficulty understanding and setting up the listener on the TCP/IP line because of the ""STACK NAME'. I ended up using the IP STACK NAME IS '*DEFAULT' (note the asterisk). This will use the stack name of the host TCPIP, whatever it is. This works fine, and is nice because if we start the CV on another LPAR, the stack name of the new LPAR is used, not hardcoded in the PTERM (requiring a SYSGEN change). As an additional note, I used the standard '99xx"" where 'xx' is the CV number for this listener, as the listener port. This works well (unless you have more than 99 CV's - LOL).

Hope this helps some of y'all!

Rikki Kirschner
(517) 347-5772

"
IDMS Public Discussion Forum
SMTP
SMTP

Normal

Normal
Re: Performance Monitor question
"Kay,
Not directly with ""canned"" Perfmon reports, but you can use Culprit
selection to look for a specific task number in the TASTSKID field.

Scott J. Brady
Holland America Line

Outcomes