devan05

CA DLP Tuesday Tip: Gathering DLP Diagnostics with WgnCheck

Discussion created by devan05 Employee on Jan 31, 2012
Latest reply on Feb 1, 2012 by Chris_Hackett
CA DLP Tuesday Tip for 31 January 2011 by Andrew Devine, Snr. Support Engineer

CA DLP ships with a diagnostic and version checking Utility called "Wgncheck.exe", WgnCheck gathers diagnostic data, including CA DLP log files, that can be forwarded to CA technical support staff to help troubleshoot support issues.

The WgnCheck utility is a standalone utility (i.e. the executable does not have any dependencies on other DLP services) and can be found in the "\Support" folder on the CA DLP distribution media. The utility also installs as deafult with all DLP servers and client components by default in the %wgninstalldir% directory (i.e. "C:\Program Files\CA\CA DLP" or "C:\Program Files (x86)\CA\CA DLP"). WgnCheck requires a minimum of Windows local administrative privileges in order to gather the DLP and Windows log files.

Periodically an updated version of the WgnCheck utility is created and posted on the CA DLP Pages on the CA Support Portal (support.ca.com). We strongly recommend that customers run the latest version of the this utility. However, do not over-write the original installed version with a newer version as it may revert when repairs or hotfix upgrades are applied.

To run the WgnCheck utility, double-click on "Wgncheck.exe" and the output is created in a .zip file format on your desktop in the format : WgnCheck_<machineName>_<Date>_<Time>.zip or to gain further granularity over the diagnostic data gathered the Wgncheck.exe can be executed from the command line with a range of switches.

Enable log collection (/I option is impled):

/L
Enable configuration information collection:

/I
Environment report only (disables collection):

/E
Maximum number of each log file to collect:

/C <count>
Destination folder for resulting diagnostics archive:

/D <Path>
Working folder for temporary files generated during log collection:
/W <Path>

To see the full usage, run this command:

wgncheck -?

Example:

wgncheck /l /c 15 /d %UserProfile%\desktop

If you wish to specify us the same settings on a frequent basis the configuration can be controlled with the use of a wgncheck.ini file. (This must reside in the same directory as the wgncehck.exe and will be automatically initiated upon execution).

Enable log collection:

CollectLogs
Enable configuration information collection:

CollectConfig
Maximum number of each log file to collect:

MaxLogCount
Destination folder for resulting diagnostics archive:

DestinationFolder
Working folder for temporary files generated during log collection:
WorkingFolder

Example wgncheck.ini:

CollectLogs=Yes