AnsweredAssumed Answered

Assigning Tasks to external programmers

Question asked by nickkime on Jul 25, 2012
Latest reply on May 17, 2017 by Robert Ensinger
I’m wondering how everyone else is handling this. I’m working on a project where some of the tasks will be assigned to developers who don’t have a clarity license. They either work for a third party company, don’t use clarity enough to justify the cost of a license, etc… whatever the reason.

There are two options that I have considered:
1)Assign a Role to those tasks. I can also edit the properties of the role to include the developers name. Example: Developer – Chris Smith. Now I can assign that role to a task, add ETC, resource allocation, and generate an accurate schedule. The problem is that I haven’t found a way to update actual effort hours for a role. It doesn’t look like roles have timesheets.
2)We could create a placeholder resource. This resource could be set up in Clarity without giving that individual access to Clarity. I think there is a resource property of “external.” Then we could assign them to task, add ETC, resource allocation, and generate an accurate schedule. The problem again is updating actual effort hours. The project manager would then need to manage their timesheets as well.

Any other suggestions?
Thanks

Outcomes